Different Behavior in one room of the house

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouse is a little over a year old, I bottle raised her from about 3 weeks old, she was weaned to raw diet and that's what she currently eats.  She was a very affectionate kitten, loved to snuggle, sit in our laps, get loves and attention.  Shortly after her spay that all changed, if we try and hold her she grumps and grouches and jumps out of our arms as soon as she can.  She will tolerate petting on her terms, and will jump in my office chair or a chair in the kitchen to get petted and I can elicit purring out of her sometimes.  Other than that she doesn't want attention and we are unable to hold her at all.  Now if she is in our bedroom she turns into a completely different cat she paddles, purrs, puffs her tail out will tolerate being held and paddles while doing so, will wake us up all through the night so we can pet her and is basically annoying asking for loves and attention.  Why the different behavior in just one room of the house? 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Are you prone when she does it? It might not be the room that elicits different behavior, but the fact that you're lying down. Our last cat, whom we had from the age of 10 weeks, wouldn't sit on our laps or cuddle when we were sitting, but would be all over us in bed or when lying on the sofa. Mogli stopped sitting on our laps when he was a little over a year old, though he'll come for pats or hugs. Whenever one of us is prone he wants to cuddle. One of my sister's cats is exactly the same way.

I've always figured it was because we were down on their level.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No she acts differently if we are standing up too but just in the bedroom.  She will follow me around on the bed when I walk to my husbands side of the bed to turn the night light on and the fan on then follows me back purring and pawing at me the whole time.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could it be that she associates the other parts of the house with pain from surgery or other bad memories? Did something else change (new furniture, new animals)? Is your bedroom her safe place?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing has changed in our house, nothing new.  It baffles me because she is a completely different cat in the bedroom.  She is starting to get a little bit more friendly outside the bedroom but will not sit in laps or allow herself to be held or anything.  I am not sure why the bedroom is her 'safe' place.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's normal behavior, she grew up. Almost all of the cats I have raised have been cuddly when they were kittens, but as soon as they got a little older, no more as much. I think she is more affectionate in the bed because she has a captive audience. My Casper is not especially affectionate during the day, but before bedtime he is all over us. Cats are fickle creatures!