Dieting a cat without losing my mind?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a kitten! Oh wow that changes everything! Feed him all he wants until he is 2 but feed him healthy food. You could try putting his dry food in puzzle feeders though.

treats? Well make him work for it. Like really work for his 1 treat a day. You could try harness training him or getting him to climb up and down furniture/cat trees following a wand toy or a toy like the cat dancer a fishing pole cat toy.

Lots of cats have a hanging pouch of skin/fur/bit of fat that is normal & completely healthy.Salem is skin & bones (at 16) and still has a bit of skin and fur hanging. I call it his jiggly belly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And hes still a kitten only 10 months old, last went for his last round of shots.
And I'm fairly sure he's Chunky.
Hi - he's not chunky at all. That photo of him from above in particular indicates he's in perfect, beautiful condition.

If you have a bathroom scale, step on it, step on it again with him, subtract the difference, that's his weight.

Canned food, lots of activity - as mentioned, harness him and take him for walks and check out the articles that were posted for you. Also, as mentioned above, don't change his calories. He's not going to mature until quite a lot later and he needs the nutrients. You'll be shortchanging him and running more risk of health issues if you decrease his calories.

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it has come to my attention that Bumi is... a bit overweight. Chunky, if you will. And I would much rather curb this while I can rather than wait for it to cause health problems. I know that the most ideal way to do put the cat on a diet would be to feed them both at a set time, separately, instead of free feeding.

Here's the problem...

Bumi is, unfortunately, an exceptionally smart cat. Or hes exceptionally more of an asshole than most. I struggle to tell the difference If there's not enough water in his bowl, or there's a hole in the food or even if the food is too low, he causes... problems. He jumps on the counter. He scratches at the cupboards so much I have baby locks and hair ties to prevent him from getting in. He tries to yank my mirror off the.wall. No manner of deterrent will prevent him from accomplishing his goal of getting food. He doesn't meow, unless you're up and near the kitchen and he thinks you might listen. No, he will be as much of a problem until you find out why he's being a problem.

So, I ask you, humbly. How can I diet this rat bastard without losing my mind in the process. Because this will be a battle of wits and I am, unfortunately unarmed.
Oh my - you'll have to forgive me, but I laughed the whole time reading this post. I have 2 female Oriental Shorthairs who are both highly intelligent and VERY vocal. This does not bode well for me when I attempt to block access to something they want. I have child locks on nearly every kitchen cabinet, child locks on my sliding closet doors, and even a toilet paper roll protector so they can't unroll the whole damn thing. Ember enjoys putting paw/face prints on my dining room mirror while looking directly at me. My favorite, however, is Grembly now knows if she steps on top of my Apple HomePod the music will turn on, so that's been super fun waking up to at 3AM. What helped somewhat for me was puzzle feeders but mainly it was actively engaging in play time to get them to expel excess energy. If you can keep their attention focused and wear them out, they may not be as inclined to destroy things in your home. I also purchased an electronic feeder that allows you to measure out food amounts, set feeding times, and provide a slow feed release. Hang in there!

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have began the process of feeding my cat less because I believe she is chunky, she has several issues that I think may be contributing to it. I purchased a slow feeder bowl and it has helped because she no longer gobbles her food, instead she works for it. I also feed her 5 times a day, 4 tblsp of dry and once with wet. I try to feed her more often because of her pica. Her calorie intake a day is around 200 something calories. She is almost 9 pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my - you'll have to forgive me, but I laughed the whole time reading this post. I have 2 female Oriental Shorthairs who are both highly intelligent and VERY vocal. This does not bode well for me when I attempt to block access to something they want. I have child locks on nearly every kitchen cabinet, child locks on my sliding closet doors, and even a toilet paper roll protector so they can't unroll the whole damn thing. Ember enjoys putting paw/face prints on my dining room mirror while looking directly at me. My favorite, however, is Grembly now knows if she steps on top of my Apple HomePod the music will turn on, so that's been super fun waking up to at 3AM. What helped somewhat for me was puzzle feeders but mainly it was actively engaging in play time to get them to expel excess energy. If you can keep their attention focused and wear them out, they may not be as inclined to destroy things in your home. I also purchased an electronic feeder that allows you to measure out food amounts, set feeding times, and provide a slow feed release. Hang in there!
first off, don't apologize. I wrote it to be as amusing as I could.

as for everyone else, I hadn't factored in that he may still have some growing to do. with that in mind, I've decided to hold off for now, and get a vet check to just make sure he's at a proper... size. I can't say weigh, because this bastard is heavier than the average cat, but I won't make any rash decisions. I think partially it was that I'm using to him being lanky and now he's starting to fill out.

thanks everyone :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens like teenagers grow to their adult heights but are still lanky. They fill out between 1.5-2.5 years old. (Breeds like Maine Coons take 2.5 years.) Like teenagers their minds are still growing until 2-2.5 years.

At least you have him on healthy food, that is most of the battle. My twerp had an almost 2 year battle of me trying to get him to eat anything without fish in it! I gave up and now am transitioning him to 1/2 dry without fish and 1/2 wet with fish. He is a picky little twerp that was finally on almost all wet but it all had to have tuna in it. You want to avoid a food war if you can!