diet to prevent crystal in bladder

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading about C/D, I have decided against it. Now, I am back to square one. I looked for the other brands and am having trouble with finding any information on how it has helped cats with crystals. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am leaning towards Authority...are these ok ingredients?....

Salmon Broth, Ocean Fish, Beef, Chicken, Animal Liver, Chicken Liver, Brewers Rice, Egg Product, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis:

* Crude Protein (min.) 11.0%
* Crude Fat (min.) 5.5%
* Crude Fat (max) 7.5%
* Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
* Moisture (max) 78.0%
* Ash (max) 1.9%
* Magnesium (max) 0.025%
* Taurine (min.) 0.07%
* Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.65%
* Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.15%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

I am leaning towards Authority...are these ok ingredients?....

Salmon Broth, Ocean Fish, Beef, Chicken, Animal Liver, Chicken Liver, Brewers Rice, Egg Product, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis:

* Crude Protein (min.) 11.0%
* Crude Fat (min.) 5.5%
* Crude Fat (max) 7.5%

* Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
* Moisture (max) 78.0%
* Ash (max) 1.9%
* Magnesium (max) 0.025%
* Taurine (min.) 0.07%
* Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.65%
* Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.15%
I am guessing this is canned>>??? it looks okay ..

ASH IS Needed ... it is the mineral content of the food , you do need to watch how much of certain minerals are in a food ... High ash is a signal the food may have high amounts of magnesium , calcium and phosphrus

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Any thoughts on Natural Balance?

I want the food, of course, to be good for him and help the bladder not create the crystals.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually am steering clear of Natural balance for a while as they seem to be having some "growing pains" and QC issues

Look at the Blue spa , lots of veggies but a good solid food

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a rescue pure-bred persian who passed away about 10 years ago (from enlarged heart), but he did have the crystal problems too (very common in persians), and two important things were absolutely no fish and be sure the ash content is minimumal on dry/canned foods. If I recall correctly, it had to be less then 2% ash content. He really liked the Eukanuba urn. tract diet formula, and nice thing about Eukanuba is that if they don't like it, they give a full refund!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a male who had struvite crystals. He was just diagnosed having them when I bought him earlier this year. He's quite picky about his foods and the only food he didn't refuse to eat was RC Urinary S/O dry and wet (which I know is not the best choise). The vet recommended Trovet wet food, but my cat hated the food.

I added water to his wet food everytime I fed him and he happily drank the water before eating the food. After 2 months I took him to the vet and his urine sample was free of crystals, his bladder was also checked with an ultrasound to make sure that everything was fine. He's doing fine now.

His previous owner had fed him with Royal Canin dry food since he was kitten, that's what made him sick. Also the other cats in the family were bullying him which made him avoid using the litter box.