Diet For Kitty With Early Kidney Disease

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

We have Shadow whom we got when my grandmother passed away. She's anywhere from 11-13 years old. We took her to the vet because she was drinking a lot of water then throwing up. The vet said she had a UTI. Blood work only indicated slightly elevated levels for kidneys. (I know it doesn't show up until it has progressed rather far). She said the levels could be from the UTI but that since cat urine is normally concentrated, it's typically difficult for bacteria to grow, thus causing a UTI. So we've been giving her an antibiotic an she seems to be improving. You can tell a lot just from the fur coat.

The vet of course recommended an Rx diet, which I'm very hesitant after loosing a baby to likely GI lymphoma and learning all about what cats should and should not eat. We've moved all 5 babies over to FF classics in light of that. (I know not the best, best, but what we can afford saving 5 cats and 3 dogs).

At any rate, she's of course not a fan of the Rx diet and I've looked on catinfo and Tanya's and I've picked out a few that hit all the marks for Kidney disease while also not having too many carbs:

Which of these would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you see if Only Natural Pet carries these? They are an online retailer that allows small quantity orders and also The Big Bad Woof does too, I think, or a petstore near to you, and see which your kitty will eat? That might be the thing that makes up your mind :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva seems like a better quality food. But it is more expensive since it has fewer calories. But the pork one is a good choice too. I would do both for variety. No comment on feline logic since that one is for intermittent feeding and not for regular feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is the Nature's Logic only for intermittent feeding?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Explanation by chewy:
Nature’s Logic only substantiates their foods using AAFCO Feeding Trials and not by adding synthetic vitamin and mineral packs to help it me et AAFCO nutrient profiles. The cat can testing is in progress but not yet completed, once the trials are completed the AAFCO statement for feeding trail substantiation will go on the can. The food is safe and nutritious enough to feed daily.

By on Jun 4, 2018

From another chewy customer:
According to the maker, this food has met all requirements for reproductive and growth needs and the trials for adult maintenance are almost complete at UC Davis at which time they will remove that label from their cans. The are jumping through necessary hoops for AAFCO. Given the low phosphorous content, this is one of just a few foods I can use to replace my cat prescription diets and after giving them a quarter can this morning to start making a switch, all three gobbled it up. SUCCESS! The contents of this food with zero synthetic ingredients is superb nutrition.

By Parisbeans on May 17, 2018

You can check chewy's Q&A section of this product for the above.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our previous cat had elevated kidney numbers, too, and we refused prescription food for her. I also found Weruva -- Steak Frites was one of her favorite foods during those last few months. (It was her digestive issues, most likely IBD and lymphoma that did her in -- she was very old and frail so she was never properly diagnosed for those.) She ate quite a few other Weruva foods; there were several from the Cats in the Kitchen line that she also liked. (FYI, Fowl Ball can be purred in a mini-processor if Shadow prefers smoother foods instead of shreds. Steak Frites cannot, though!)

I think you're doing the right thing, ifwewerebirds ifwewerebirds , to check those lists and pick out some foods for Shadow to try. Brooksie's kidney numbers did improve with her lower phosphorus diet; we also gave her subcutaneous fluids regularly.