Diet Adjustment For Struvite

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched Jonesy over to raw in early December, with some kibble on the side just because I didn't have time to feed more than twice per day. He's mostly been doing great, no more GI upset or skin problems that he had gotten with other foods. But last week he started occasionally crying while peeing. Still peeing normal amounts, and not straining at all, but clearly uncomfortable. Sure enough, the vet found struvite crystals and blood (red cells only) in his urine. She is concerned that the calcium/phosphorous ratio in the raw food may need adjustment, but first wants to clear the crystals, so we cut the kibble entirely and are feeding him only canned Instinct LID for now(none of the veterinary diets work with his dietary restrictions). I don't want to feed exclusively canned food long-term due to cost and the extremely limited variety Jonesy can actually have. I do plan on cutting the kibble permanently, though, and will work on adjusting my schedule for more frequent feedings to compensate.

Anyway, the vet directed me to PetDiets.com and BalanceIT.com to figure out a home-made diet that will be better suited for a cat prone to struvite crystals. PetDiets.com charges $350 USD (so $435 CAD for me) for one consultation, and another $100 for any request to modify the recipe they give you from that, and bases their recipes on the BalanceIT supplements anyway, so I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to. The BalanceIT Autobalancer tool is neat, and quite helpful for typical diets, but as soon as I check off the box for feline struvite crystals it gets weird. All of the recipes it recommends are at least 30% carbs, from white rice.

Is there a reason for the high carb content? With no health considerations checked off, there are plenty of low-carb or carb-free options, but any attempt to make a low-carb variation of a struvite diet comes up as "not possible". In fact, any change in the protein/fat/carb ratios or ingredients results in "not possible". Is it just an attempt to dilute the phosphorous content from the meat, or is there some benefit to the rice/carbs in this situation?

It would be great if I could just adjust the calcium/phoshorous ratio in my existing recipe or even just add an acidifier (as Jonesy's urine pH is rather high), but I can't find any specific recommendations anywhere for how to make such changes and my vet doesn't know enough about the topic to give such specific advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read the catinfo page, but it doesn't recommend any particular changes in diet for struvite-prone cats other than increasing water intake. I might try my original raw recipe again after the crystals are gone and see if the kibble may have been at fault, but I don't want to risk a urinary blockage...

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a consult with Dr Pierson is a heck of a lot cheaper than that $350. You could go through her assistant, tell her what you're looking for, send the files of his medical history for Lisa to review, and then wait for your Skype appointment.
I talked to Dr Lisa Pierson for 2 hours and had sent her 95 pages, and it was under $350. Tommy's only dietary requirement was keeping his bladder inhospitable. We already went through the surgery on him to reroute his urethra and widen it, but I want him to be as comfortable as possible. The only change I made to the raw diet from catinfo.org after talking to Dr Pierson was lowering the mineral content by diluting the bone with more boneless meat. We're at less than 10% in our recipe.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing you might want to consider is adding egg... raw yolks + cooked whites. I call it "egg soup".
I separate the yolks out, cook up the whites, chop them to small bits, let cool, add back in with the yolks and stir it all up. I give about 1/4 ounce with each meal. The cooked whites are a gentle, no phosphorus source of protein, while the yolks provide all kinds of vitamins and omegas. From my understanding, most crystals are formed because of a ph imbalance, and eggs are a good balance in that regard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good idea with the eggs! I have been using yolks, so I can definitely throw the whites in (cooked) as well. Normally I just eat them myself, but they're awfully bland. I'll have to play around with my spreadsheet to get the right nutrient profile

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
furmonster mom furmonster mom EGGS! This is great info. I am slowly focusing Charlie’s diet to half raw and half wet.

I am using that food list on catinfo.com People always ask what all my papers are for when I go to the pet store :cool2:

I am looking for high protein, low phosphorus wet and sticking with Fancy Feast right now because Charlie loves it.

I get so much great info/ideas here! Charlie’s tummy thanks you!