Did your cat pick you?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you feel that your cat specifically chose you to live with? If so, did they come up and single you out while you were at a shelter or adoption event? Or were they a very persistent stray that said, "I would like to live here! Please adopt me!" 

Last edited:

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely feel like our old cat picked us.  We got her at the shelter and she was the first one on her feet to mew for attention when we entered the room and she literally would not let us touch the kitten that shared her cage with her.  She would sit on the other kitten, shove it out of the way just to reach us.  When we went to play with her to see if she was a good fit she showed how insane and spazzy she was.  We loved that!

Our current kitty duo....it's hard to say.  We knew we wanted a new cat after our old one passed but we thought we'd wait another year so our kids would be a bit older.  But my friend said her cat was having kittens and she was looking for good homes.  She promised us her barn kittens were always friendly (our old cat was quite aggressive to our children and to guests).  We thought we'd let the kids 'pick' the kitten.  The one that would be the nicest with them would be the one we would take home.  They were still little the first time we met them so we couldn't take them home with us.  At that point we only wanted one.  And we thought we found her.  A little white kitten with grey tabby patches let our 1 y.o. pull on her head and squeeze her without a fuss.  With assumed that meant "child-friendly".  However, I had fallen for a little grey guy with a white bib and white-tipped paws.  When I was a small child I had a kitten calendar and for my birthday month it had had a photo of a little grey with white kitten and I've considered it to be my 'dream' cat along with calicos.

Anyways, long story short.....by the time we went to pick up our kitten I had convinced my husband to take a second one so we took my 'dream' cat the grey and the white and grey patches kitten.  However, the white and grey patches kitten was TERRIFIED.  She just cowered in the corner shivering.  She refused to eat or drink and hissed whenever anyone got close.  This was more than new kitten/new home jitters.  My friend then emailed me saying the remaining kitten was being super friendly and demanding pets and snuggles from her and so we agreed to make a trade.  It had been less than 24 hours so I didn't think the switch would be too traumatic.   So we took the greyish brown tabby home.

And it's been a perfect fit.  Pickles is relatively timid but is friendly and gentle with the children and Pepper is like a giant teddy bear and will cuddle in my arms or share my pillow at night.  He actually lets the kids carry him around and he will snuggle with them from time to time too.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to finish the story, the white with grey tabby patches went to the farm of a young, childless couple that we know and she is very happy there and they are very happy with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely!

I always appreciate seeing collars and tags on other people's cats too.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My old ginger tabby chose me. I was looking for a cat at the shelter and trying to make up my mind. One of the volunteers had Milo out of his cage for some one on one time and asked me if I wanted to hold him. I had never considered a ginger tabby before for some reason but this little guy reached out his arms to me. I took him in my arms and he climbed up, put his paws around my neck, nestled his head beneath my chin and began to purr like an engine.

Needless to say, he came home with me that day. I am not sure I have ever been as loved as I was by that cat. There is no question in my mind that he saw me and wanted me to be his human.[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I went to SPCA to visit cats only and Macha saw me and she was meowing. I went to see her and gave my hand sniffing it, licking  and was purring.I went to see other cats and she kept calling me lol so I went back and was talking to her and petting same time. She meowed so sweetly, I rubbed her head and chin and she was purring so loud. She wants me to hold her so I did wow she's loving it and sitting pretty in my arm and of course I am loving too as well.  I went home that day and Macha with me. I honestly think she chose me. I am the luckiest one for she is a truly wonderful cat and I love her so much.

Last edited:

raerae624

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like most of my cats chose me. Iris is my latest kitten...my sister had found her at college and couldn't keep her so mom and I went to pick her up and take her to my boyfriend's house. Well, she never made it to his house....she cried out to me, climbed up on my shoulder and from that day on has only trusted me, no one else. Only I can carry her around and pick her up and she only comes to me when I call....she runs and hides from everyone else, so I feel special knowing she chose me that day!

My other cats...Fez my blue boy was found by my sister as well and he is actually her cat but he lives with us right now and is friendly to everyone.

Miss Kitty is my orange and white classic tabby, a very pretty girl. A few years ago she pushed her way into my ex's house through the window screen to get to me and has stuck around with me since!

Momma Cat, my calico, and Baby Boy, my black and white, I found them on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere when BB was just 6 or 8 weeks old and Momma couldn't have been any older than 1. I had my bf pull over the car and I jumped out and called to Momma and I swear that cat looked in my eyes and I could see her make a decision to trust me....she walked up to me and I grabbed her and put her in the car! Then, I walked towards the kitten and he hesitated but when he realized Momma was in the car he came right up to me too and I snatched him and threw him in too! Thankfully I was able to capture them, as I had been seeing them hanging around that same spot on the side of the road for about 2 weeks before I caught them and I was soo afraid I was going to see one of them get squished. I got them both fixed and shots asap and they are both healthy beautiful kitties now. BB still only trusts me and my mother and it took quite a while for him to trust mom...

Baby Girl I found outside my house one summer day...one night I woke up to use the bathroom and the window was open. I heard a persistent squeaking and sadly thought that one of the cats had captured a small animal. The next morning, I heard the sound again and thought the cats might have disturbed a rabbits nest or something so I went to investigate. I followed the sound around the side of my garage and my calico had something pinned against the wall...not touching it but not letting it move anywhere either. I saw a flash of gray and cream and thought it was a baby possum! Turns out....it was a tiny 6 week old dilute calico kitten! Now this is weird because my closest neighbor is a quarter mile away and my house is set back and surrounded by acres and acres and miles of trees and fields! Where did this tiny baby come from all alone?? Anyway, I raised her inside and she is just the most beautiful long legged dilute beauty ever! She will only come when my mom and I call for her too and she usually runs from everyone but me.

Finally, the tortie twins Foxy and Ella I picked up a few years ago as a present for someone...wanted only one but couldn't leave the other one all alone..long story short they couldn't keep them after about a year so I volunteered to take them back. They are fat happy girls. And that makes up my cat menagerie :)

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love these stories.  I feel a little left out that my current kitties didn't "pick me" but they are definitely mine now.  They have adopted me as their mamma.  I don't like referring myself as my cats' "mom" because I"m really not.  But the way they hang around me, come for comfort and snuggle up to me at night I know that's how they see me.  I'm the only one who can pick up Pickles (though she lets others pet her) and she likes to ride on my shoulder like a parrot. :)  She often cries when she can't find me.   Pepper likes to play the tough guy and pretend he is aloof but his teddy bear heart comes out anyways and he loves sitting on my stomach or curling up by the kids.  I am his number one though.  No bragging.  I'm the one who invested the time to socialize them (they were very shy when we got them, not used to human contact) so it makes sense they attached themselves to me.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My orange tabby Archie, definitely picked me as his caretaker.  One day while I was out for a walk, he ran across the street, stood in front of me and meowed like all get out.  He seemed to be saying, "I'm starving, please feed me!"  Later that day, I carried some food down to where I spotted him.  After a few minutes, he climbed out of a hole in an old wooden fence along with 4 or 5 other malnourished kittens. I wanted to bring him home, but I had just lost a cat; I wasn't ready for a new companion.  We repeated this ritual every day for about a month before I carried him home.  He was so happy.  That was 5 years ago; I thank him every day for choosing me.

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
Wow--these stories are great. I love hearing how animals know their people...

My kitten meowed and meowed when I met her--she came over to me, and tried to climb up my leg.

I like being her "guardian" or "caretaker," although I occasionally call her my furbaby. But she has taken just as much care of me as I have of her. I have a tag on her because I want other people to know right away that she is someone's cat (if she gets out and gets lost). I know someone who put a reward amount on his dog's tag, and when she got lost and was gone for a day, he had a hard time convincing the people who found her to give him back for a smaller amount. I just wrote "Reward," her name, and my phone number. She's been wearing the harness for years, and as the collar didn't go over so well, so I'm glad this has worked.