Did Your Cat Have Any Detox Symptoms On Raw?

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have been feeding our 1 year old cat raw for nearly 3 months. I have noticed many benefits like decrease in poop size and smell, increase in urine, increase in energy level, decrease in tartar and also bad smelly breath went away.
At first couple of weeks, her coat become softer and shinier. But now, since 2 weeks, she is shedding a lot. She has short hair, and never shed that amount before. I have read some cats and dogs may go through a detoxification process when transitioned from kibble to raw. I wonder if any of you had a detoxification process including shedding?

I wonder if she is shedding due to detoxification or maybe due to season? Weather get really hot suddenly since 1-2 weeks. She does not have any health problems, or any bald spots on fur.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
My guess is that if she's not showing any other symptoms then its likely the change in season. Especially if it's suddenly hot. If you feel there's a cause for concern then take her to the vet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's an indoor/outdoor cat the temperature change could cause excess shedding. Shedding is normally more influenced by day-length.

If she's indoor-only and you have air conditioning, then the outside temperature rise shouldn't impact shedding too much.

Fortunately, none of my cats ever had any negative detox symptoms from raw; only the positive improvements. Not sure then if that might be a reason.

Has anything happened recently to stress the cat? I have had cats who would shed severely for a short period after a routine trip to the vet. Shedding is a common stress reaction in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, nothing has happened to stress the cat recently. But weather got suddenly hot, so I guess that might be the reason for sudden and excess shedding. When we had a visit to vet, she also sheds suddenly more than normal, but it lasts for a short period only.

She is an indoor cat, and we do not have air conditioning. I guess it is because of weather, because we have stray dogs and cats here, and I noticed that they also still shedding nowadays.