did you get to pick out your cat? Did you want to?

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I got dinah, I went to see what puppies they had with a friend at the SPCA. And because I am a cat person, I had to go see all the babies, and spend time with each one. . .

I have always wanted an odd eyed white, and there was my girl, all two pounds of her sitting in a cage with her brother. . . She was so tiny, she fit in my hand, and I played with her, and was hooked. She had to come home with me!

I wanted to take her brother too but I could only have one where I was living. . . I often wonder how he is doing. . .

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, my family always took in cats that were given to us or more often then not, kittens and cats I found. I did have a couple that I specifically chose that I was closer to then many of the others.

Sho was born to one of my grandmother's cats. She was able to find homes for all of them except for him (I kind of help make it that way
). I had my eye on him since he was born and ended up with him a few months later. He was the quiet, fat little kitten that preferred nap time. Nothing has changed.

Tomas I found at 10 weeks old in the backyard yelling for his mother cat....or a reasonable replacement. I took the little brat in and couldn't say no to him
he thinks I'm his mom now anyways.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sort of picked my cats. I went to the petstore and then each of them did something that caught my attention. Petunia and her sister were both sitting in cages in the front window and Petunia looked so miserable that I couldn't help but take her home! Pepper came from the same place and I played with him and his siblings. He was giving me kisses and playing with my hair so I brought him home next. I adopted them a few months apart, but it has taken them a year to begin to like each other.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

Be honest how many of u got to actually look at a bunch of cats and get to pick one? I NEVER DO i always take in ones that find me usually

I really wanted to get a solid black cat but i was never able to
I love black kitties! Fortunately I have 3
.....most of my kitties are "drop -offs" form family/friends who didn't want or could not keep them any more. (the same goes for the other animals as well)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only picked Rocket the other 4 picked us.

Twig came from a cousins farm when he was way to young to be away from his momma (we didn't know better back then) about 5 weeks old.

Neffie was the basement cat of a friend who hated people, my friends daughter decided she didn't want Neffie anymore so I took her because I knew noone would adopt her in a shelter.

Isis and Luna were my ferals I was feeding while they were preggers. Isis lost her kittens (we think) to racoons and Luna we don't know what happened to hers. So we brought them inside to live out their lives without anymore fear, or worry about where their next meals was coming from.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We sought out all our cats except 2. One came from my Aunt because of problems with her rental agreement. The other came when my Mom and Step-Dad got married. Most came from the SPCA. One was from a family member's cat who had a litter. I don't remember about our first cat (I was 2 when we got her).

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brownie chose me. He wandered on our deck and I fed him.

When he died we went to the shelter looking for a black cat. Came home with Butzie instead. First 2 cats in her room were feral black cats who hissed at me. Butzie wanted me and purred and meowed at me.

Recently, I read an article about research a guy at Cornell did on cat vocalizations. In one part he said that a cat at a shelter can be very sweet so that you adopt it. Well, duh! I can say that because I went to Cornell.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose Demetri and Ana from the breeder, she offered me Farley as well a few weeks before Ana came home.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i haven't picked most of my cats - I have been to shelters twice (once deliberately for a cat, once I was determined not to come home with one!!), the first time they only had one adoptable cat, the second time i came home with a different cat to what i would have picked, as my friend said I had to have Snowy!! I have 'chosen' a couple of fosters though, only one of the ones I chose has stayed though, but she had been with us over a year with no interest before I decided to keep her.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, of our lifetime, I'd say 3 we picked and 3 the fates-that-be picked for us. The first three cats we had, two we chose from the breeders (*cough*BYB*cough*) and one we chose from the shelter. The next three (Willow, Buffy, Molly) came to us by their own will. Well, technically we "picked" Willow, but I'm not sure that's right, because of the whole litter, only one wasn't a dilute tortoiseshell (he was an orange-and-white). It was just a pack of sleeping, dead-to-the-world dilute torti kittens. I think we just went eeny-meeny-miney-mo and ended up with Willow. But Buffy came when my brother's girlfriend at the time, who worked at a vet clinic, came over with an orphaned kitten she thought we'd like to meet, and Molly came to us in the guise of a kitten stuck in a tree and lost from her owners (nobody ever called for her)

The first three kitties we had, who we picked ourselves, went as follows:

Yoshi - he was the last surviving member of his litter (disgustingly, his breeder, an aging woman, gassed the litter to death, though I'm not sure why she spared Yoshi). Yoshi was also born with a problem with his back legs, where they didn't work as they should, but he grew out of it and was a completely normally kitten by the time he came to live with us

Sasha - we picked him out at the shelter after Yoshi "ran away" (hah, yeah right. Poor guy was probably hit by a car). My brother picked him out, so I guess we got Yoshi because he was "cool" (I guess young boys don't care for kittens, they like the full-grown, long-haired fluffy MEN, lol)

Grizzly - we chose him ourselves, but there were two kittens ahead of him. First one, by my own choice, was a shorthaired grey female, but my family said no (totally sexist, dad didn't want any females; too "scratchy" and "crazy," apparantly). Next, I wanted a longhair black-and-white like Yoshi had been, but that one was already spoken for by the breeders' relative (the "breeders" were one of our neighbours and one of the kids was my good friend). So we chose the longhair black guy, and he ended being a delight.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havn't picked any of mine and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bear, Bosco, and Max were born here (we took in their momma).

Molly came to us as a stray kitten.

Buddy was born to a feral momma under the house.

Pumkin came as a feral adult. Scared to let anyone near him, would hiss and run. After a while he would let us get close to him to feed him. Then after a couple of years of working with him he started to let us pet him. Now he will come in the house and makes himself right at home on the couch. lol

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Picked both of mine - Radar was one of a litter of 5 and when I went to see them there were 3 left, 2 boys and a girl. The girl was a really pretty tortie with a completely brindled coat, no large patches of colour, but I was really after a boy - so I picked the one that was misbehaving horribly on the basis that his ears were bigger, legs longer, and markings prettier, and so came home with the naughtiest cat on the planet!

I picked Sonic out of a litter of 6 (5 boys 1 girl), he was the only blue in the litter and he was the cuddliest (although at one point I think I had most of them climbing up me!) I was lucky to get first choice of the litter, due to people who had previously shown an interest in kittens from the breeder turning out to be timewasters or unsuitable.

My parrot is my 'interesting' acquisition! I was looking for a Senegal for some time, I had my name down with a breeder but she lost a clutch unexpectedly and I was looking at maybe waiting a year for the next breeding season, but then I heard that a local aviary had a baby Senegal come in for rehoming - long story and one that makes me very angry. But anyway I went along to see him. There were a couple of people in the baby bird room looking at the parrots when I turned up, but as soon as I went into the room the little Senegal went absolutely nuts - jumped on the side of his cage and started screaming at the top of his voice. He only calmed down when I went over to him and put my fingers through the bars to touch him, he 'preened' my fingers and bobbed his head and I knew I couldn't leave without him

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never got to see any of mine. I was just given the description on the telephone or e-mail of what they were and i told them i wanted them there and then.

They could have been pink with yellow spots for all i cared, i just wanted them

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spooky Bear and Tabitha picked us, they were "only kittens" so there were no others to choose from. I picked Spike, he had one sibling. We had 21 foster kittens this year, and of those we kept 7... either John or I picked which ones we were going to keep, with the exception of Taco who no one wanted because he has some health problems.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only picked out one of our kitties. That was Leya. We were looking to get a friend for Enzo because he was still only 6 months old, we felt bad leaving him at home all day while we went to school and work. We looked at a few shelters and just happened to stop by the animal control office and there was this tiny little 3 lb cat. She was the cutest thing and we just had to save her. She picked us that's for sure. We walked in the room and she just wouldn't stop meowing and putting her paw out between the bars until we came and took her out.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My best friend rescued Amadeus from her backyard and I picked Sebastian because he was the only boy in the litter. Made it easy. He was actually named Mr. Big before I adopted him!

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I picked the first two I have from ( I get cats in groups..lol) about 11,000 cats...

Then the other three I picked out of 13,000 the following year.

Working at a shelter...makes it hard to choose from. I did get the pick of the litter though!

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was gonna say I picked zoey from the shelter, but really when she saw me she ran right to me & mewed it up for me in a little girlish way and that was it! Nuit I could say I picked, no one wanted her with her "behavior" and she called out to me. Bentley there was only 1 other cats with him (he was from the shelter but the pet store helped out and did adoptions). I felt i should go to the shelter and give the other cats a chance to (see he was my first cat and I was just going to the store to get supplies ready) but my bf could tell I was quite smitten with Bentley and said to me "why bother you know we're just gonna take Bentley home anyways" Jenny was a toss up at the shelter but she was to cute. Ceasar was left behind my the neighbors.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not really, Mittens was the only cat at the pet shop. The shop has since changed their policy, if you want a cat go to the shelter. I would have gone to the shelter, but I knew this small pet shop had puppies and kittens and I did not feel like traveling from place to place.

Cassy picked us for her new home.

So, I never really had a choice. Doesn't matter, my two cats are absolutely purrrfect.

I forgot to say, yes, I did want to have a choice, but, now it does not matter.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all picked me.

Raven and Nabu picked me through a representative

Me: "I'm looking for a cat that's already fixed"
Co-worker: "Great! I have two cats, and they're already fixed & declawed. Thought I found a home, but the lady changed her mind" He went on in detail describing how wonderful & friendly they were.

Stimpy came into the shelter I worked at for a few years. He decided he was going home with me from day one. It just took me a little while to figure it out. He even convinced my hubby who did not want another cat.
He was also an adult already & fixed, etc...I have a major weakness for homeless adult kitties.

So no...I still haven't done the whole go out and pick a kitty thing.
I somehow doubt I ever will.
Cats have a way of finding me.