Did You Change Your Cats Name?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't like Mowgli's name - it's very common for cats here - but my husband thought it suited him and he responded to it, so Mowgli it remained.
Huh! I remember thinking it was such a cool name when I first saw one of your posts when I joined. He even looks like a Mowgli:) . I've never seen that name for a cat here.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cat was a 5-week old feral kitten when he climbed under the hood of my car and took a 90 mile ride before he was discovered and subsequently extracted by a Honda dealer. I took him to a no-kill shelter, gave them $100, and wished him “good luck.” The shelter named him “Honda.” The TV news came and interviewed the shelter director and the story went viral across the globe (really), courtesy of the Internet. 2 weeks later we adopted him and changed his name to “Andy The Miracle Kitten & International Viral Sensation.”

Andy is a bit of a character...

8BD2E2A7-4CF4-451D-B031-C0FC708A49B4.jpeg

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Huh! I remember thinking it was such a cool name when I first saw one of your posts when I joined. He even looks like a Mowgli:) . I've never seen that name for a cat here.
It's common in Germany for orphaned kittens, and Mowgli was found alone in a rain barrel at around 4 months, though there were two other black kittens nearby. It was so close to a feral colony and they were all so wild it was assumed they were from there. The usual spelling (for pronunciation purposes) is "Mogli".

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Charlie from a woman who thought he was a girl, and so she called "her" Annie. I called "her" Mabel until the vet discovered the mistake.

Selene's shelter name was Slate. It fit her coloring, but didn't sound very nice.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith was her shelter name. I liked it so we kept it. Sophie's shelter name was Midge. DD suggested Sophie.

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Louie had been at the shelter for 30 days.
The name they gave him was King of Tampa...yea, I changed that.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix didn't come from a shelter. My mom rescued him from outside and gave him to me. I was really young, around 12 years old. Thought he was a girl and called him Annabella. Dressed him up in girl clothes about talked about how much I loved my girl. Weeks went by and I noticed little 'things' growing down under. Looked up a video about how to determine a cats sex and was shocked when he seemed more male than female. Still held out on him being a girl until a vet told us he was a boy. Then he became Felix. Got the name from Purina's Felix cat food line.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix didn't come from a shelter. My mom rescued him from outside and gave him to me. I was really young, around 12 years old. Thought he was a girl and called him Annabella. Dressed him up in girl clothes about talked about how much I loved my girl. Weeks went by and I noticed little 'things' growing down under. Looked up a video about how to determine a cats sex and was shocked when he seemed more male than female. Still held out on him being a girl until a vet told us he was a boy. Then he became Felix. Got the name from Purina's Felix cat food line.
You can’t be too old then. In the other thread you said you can only handle one cat at your age. :p

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have changed the names of all the cats we've adopted in the past. Carleton is the only kitty whose name we kept. We couldn't think of another name that did him justice. He was saved from a terrible hoarding situation and his picture appeared in the newspaper as well as on the local news. The shelter who rescued him along with 22 other Persian cats gave him his name and it definitely fits.:lovecat4:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitties 012 1.jpg

Diamond was a shelter kitty. Since he was brought to the shelter around Christmas, they named him Jingle. I did not like it and it did not fit him. I tried several names and finally settled on Diamond. He's beautiful, but kinda hard, too. :p

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have changed the names of all the cats we've adopted in the past. Carleton is the only kitty whose name we kept. We couldn't think of another name that did him justice. He was saved from a terrible hoarding situation and his picture appeared in the newspaper as well as on the local news. The shelter who rescued him along with 22 other Persian cats gave him his name and it definitely fits.:lovecat4:
Lilith and Sophie were rescued from a very similar situation. Someone found a black Persian cat wandering around a neighborhood. They took the cat to a local vet. Then another was found, and another and so on. Finally, someone went to the area and found an abandoned house with over 20 cats in and around it. They were all rescued and taken to local shelters. They think a backyard breeder was either evicted or foreclosed on and they left the cats behind when they moved out.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remy was Sammie. I changed his name because I wasn't a big fan of Sammie for a cat. I got the name Remy from the movie Ratatouille. I remembered later that in my favorite TV show, Castle, they reference a restaurant called Remy's.

Maisie was Magnolia or Maggie. I changed her name because Maggie was another family member's dog's name. I didn't want to change her name to something too different because she had been in foster care for 2 years and I didn't want it to be too drastic a change for her.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't change Chilli's name. I thought about it and tried out some names, but soon I just called her by her nicknames anyway. I think Chilli suits her and is pretty cute.

Chai was Iris in the shelter. I actually love the name Iris, but I felt it was a little too dignified and aloof for the silly awkward cuddlebug I knew she was. And I felt that a new warm and cozy name would be part of her new beginning. (Also, at the time, I had a 2nd grade student named Iris who--while adorable and I loved her--was an absolute terror in class. :lol:)

Clove was named 꼬미/Gomi, along with her brother 솜이/Somi, which was cute but didn't fit my tradition of C spice names. ;)

Oh, and for the record--none of my cats know their names. At all. :lol::lol::lol:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha was Martha when I adopted her from the sanctuary where I volunteer. I thought she looked too exotic to be a Martha. I wanted to name her a flower name since I already had a Lily and an Iris, but nothing seemed to fit. Two weeks after I brought her home, my husband and I were driving to the store and I was going on and on about all of the flower names I’d looked at and how none of them were right for her. And he said, “Mocha. Her name is Mocha.” And he was right!

I rescued a gorgeous long-haired orange girl years ago that the neighborhood kids had named Mayflower after the moving company. Someone had dumped her with three kittens, and every time someone tried to catch them, she’d move them. The kittens eventually disappeared, and I trapped Mayflower and kept her. And kept her name.

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nando used to be Zoe at the shelter, but the name just didn't fit her at all! Plus I know some Zoe's and it put me off a little. Now that I know her, she's definitely a real Nando :lol:

Bella's Mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When i got my cat from my local animal shelter her name was Beta but i changed it to Bella since calling her Beta sounds weird for a cat name

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the shelter they named the litter Bodhi came from after General Motors cars. Cavalier, Corsica, Beretta etc. His name was Escalade. I ended up changing it after hanging out with him a few weeks and thinking of something that fit him better.

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat's original name when I got her from the shelter was Petunia which isn't too bad but I thought that Princess suited her better.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just adopted three from the shelter.
Lila became Lily, she is too tiny and delicate and I found that Lila was "too mature" for her. Lily (think the little bells from the lily of the valley flower) seemed to fit better. She's gorgeous with an orange and dark rich marmalade classic tabby coat. And these giant expressive Bambi eyes that melt your heart.
Binx, had 2 names at the shelter. First he was Baker and then they started calling him Batman. He's a handsome sleek black cat with a small spot of white on his chest and what's so cool is he looks like he's wearing white eyeliner on his top lids. Then of course the bright yellow/green eyes just pop.
Our third was called Atticus, we changed it to Chester. Totally different but he's still young and looks more like a Chester (to us anyway). And I've always loved the name. He has like a strawberry blond with a bit of a very pale grey mixed in colored coat with a spotted and striped tabby marking. Stripes are around his shoulders and it changes to spots as it moves towards his hips. White paws and white chest with a striped tail. He's quite striking.