Did Pip Aspirate Liquid Meds?

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I administered 0.5cc famotidine to Pip this morning--with a very bad technique and I'm worried that I may have caused her to aspirate some of the meds. She was struggling a lot and I finally got her mouth open and I squirted the meds into the back of her mouth (I know, I know--it just all happened so fast and I just didn't think).

She started to make that kind of huffy, cat-asthma cough in a hunched position for about one minute. I don't know if that was from shock at something going down her throat fast or because some got into her windpipe.

After a minute or two, she was perfectly normal.

so my questions are: what should I watch for that might indicate she did aspirate? As it is Sunday and the vet's office is closed, I don't want to put the Emergency room trigger unless I have to (for her sake more than mine). Am I safe to watch/wait for a few hours?

thanks friends for your help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Just keep an eye on her. If you have ever made the mistake of accidentally inhaling while drinking, you too have likely aspirated a small amount of liquid as well. And, if so, you know it can take quite a while for that choking/coughing/nagging feeling to go away.

If she seemed fine just a minute or two later, and is not showing any new signs of trouble, her airway/lungs did just what ours do and absorbed the aspirated liquid. It is doubtful that the entire 0.5 cc went into her lungs, just enough to irritate her airway.

And, as it sounds like you already know, next time administer the meds against the inside of cheek - and probably in 2-3 separate little squirts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much Feebysowner. I feel like such a bad cat mom for administering the meds wrong.

Pip is now > 3 hours post-meds and eating happily and watching the birds. Fingers crossed.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again pipperoo.

Keeping an eye on her for any change in behaviour...sure, that's important. BUT, by the time you see a behaviour change caused by aspiration (like hiding, keeping to herself/avoiding you), you will have lost valuable time - time that might have been used to get her started on an antibiotic for aspiration pneumonia. That condition is one to which that cats are particularly susceptible.

So...more important will be your keeping your ear closely attuned for any sound of raspy breathing, 'catching her breath, a tiny cough. And, if you wonder 'Did I hear something', don't dismiss it, and if there's any doubt have someone with a stethoscope;) take a listen.

I wouldn't be overly worried, just more 'tuned in'.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, aspiration pneumonia takes days to develop. Just watch for wheezing, hiding and coughing. She most likely is fine, but just watch her for a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking FeebysOwner and for the input di-and-bob.
Yes, Pip seems fine. I can't hear anything off in her breathing and when I put my ear to her side, I just hear normal breathing sounds. I'm keeping very close tabs on her in the meantime.