Did My Five Month Olds Mate?

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four kittens that will be five months old in a few days. One is male, the other three female.

And one of the female kittens is already in heat! I only noticed it today, but it's probably been a few days. Is there a chance she already mated with Tom? I don't see any difference in his behavior, so I don't think he's reached maturity yet. Then again, he's my first male cat, so I'm not all that confident.

I will get them all fixed asap, but not at the same time since it would be quite expensive.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Probably not but we cant know.

Also young males sometimes mate more for the training without being really fertile as yet.

Still you are apparently in the danger zone.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In this case, if they don't go outside, have the male neutered first, very soon, this week if possible. He shouldn't be completely fertile yet so you wouldn't have to worry about him being fertile after neutering like a full tom. And then you can work on getting the ladies done one by one.

But that's only if you can be sure they'll never get out. If there's even a tiny chance they can get out, do the females first, starting with the one who has already been in heat, and quickly, even if you have to borrow money. It's cheaper than raising a litter! Or 3 litters!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We can help you to find a low cost clinic in your area.

Has mom been spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, this gives me more peace of mind. I'm still in disbelief that this little girl is in already in heat.

They're all 100% indoor so not worried in that aspect. Mom is also fixed. Tom is really the only danger here, he'll be the first to go. There is a remote low cost group in my city that comes in four times a month. Never used it before, may be time to give them a try

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow I just posted something similar then saw this thread! My two kittens are only 4.5 months and I just caught them mating. I also thought they were much too young!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they are not too young and I fear the girls may get pregnant now. Can you have them spayed first?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my girls went into heat that young. Her sister was looking at her like she was nuts! :crazy:

I agree with getting Tom done ASAP since he is your biggest risk. But I wouldn't delay the others much because some cats in heat can become escape artists! I'm glad to hear you have some low cost options!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't happen frequently that 4-5 month old siblings can mate and get pregnant, but it does happen sometimes. If I were you I would start by spaying the females.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been doing research on the local low cost spay/neuter clinics and I've been scared away by the reviews lol... I think I'll stick to my regular vet

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s fine as long as they’ll work with you on a payment plan so you can act quickly.