Did my cat faint or pass a blot clot?

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has HCM which we've known for about a year. Last year, he got saddle thrombus, almost went into cardiac arrest and passed several clots. But he managed to survive it and the past year has been without incident thanks to his medication. We had gone out of town and he's been difficult with taking his Plavix (to stop the clots) but our cat sitters supposedly did get him to eat them after lots of attempts. Anyway, when we got back last Sat, he seemed fine and in very good spirits and happy to see us. 

But yesterday he was lying on the bed with me and I saw what looked like him looking off into the distance, like there was something behind me that scared him. Then his eyes got bigger and he fell over and his back arched. I thought he was going into cardiac arrest because he arched his back the same way when he had his near cardiac arrest a year ago. But he didn't meow deeply like he did then. So he recovered seconds later, jumped off the bed, walked into the other room and it happened again only this time he wet himself. But again, he recovered swiftly. After the whole thing, he did seem scared and lethargic the whole day but he was eating, drinking, going to the litter box and purring, slowly becoming himself again.

So I don't know if it was fainting because it didn't seem like he lost consciousness exactly. But the rest of the symptoms add up. We didn't take him to the vet because he was so frazzled we didnt want to stress him and bring on more of what ever was happening, we did call them though and they agreed to monitor him and if he gets worse or in pain bring him in. In the past, they've told us if he's passed a clot and seems to recover on his own not to bring him in because the stress could make his condition worse. 

He seems fine and he will take him to the vet when he seems more comfortable but obviously I'm worried sick. I don't know if the fainting is a sign of a clot about to pass or if a heart attack is coming. 

Anyone have any similar experiences?

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's not fainting, it's syncope, and it's important that your vet re-evaluate your kitty for making sure his blood flow is not restricted, making sure he's getting oxygen through his blood, etc.  I understand the necessity for no stress, but I truly feel you should have him re-evaluated before something else develops and you're stuck with a weekend emergency charge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response. We have gone to the vet and they say his heart seems fine but he could have passed out for any number of reasons. They didnt think it was a clot because he's on Plavix (tho as i understand it, a cat still can have one.) But they also said since he recovered so quickly and in seconds if it was more sinister, he probably wouldn't be able to. So fingers crossed it was nothing serious. He's also had his blood work done so we'll know more then