Did I Put My Cat Down Too Soon

kitchenschristopher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was 14yrs old. I noticed (1)stays in unusual places for long times.(2),not active, not his self, (3)had urinated a little in places other than litterbox (4) didn't eat for 2 days(he always eats), and whined when i picked him up...I took him to vet . She said this is common in older cats when they are dying,that i may want to consider euthinization. but she could run tests & xrays,,I said ok. Nurse came back with cost of tests(no treatment) and i didnt have enough money. She went out and came back with cost of pain meds, steroid shot, and to come back in 2 days if not better. i could pay for that one, but thought, how would i pay for more on Monday. so i was left with option of ethinization. I am upset because i felt i was not given any suggestions,probability of diagnosis, or referalls to other places that might could help him... and anger towards myself that i should have took more time to think . I felt rushed. I have lots of guilt and dont know how to move forward.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you were rushed, which is a pity, but chances are you made the best choice. Not eating for two days means your cat was probably going into liver failure (as a result of not eating), and definitely means your cat didn't feel good. And a 14-year old cat is quite elderly, actually. Some cats do live longer, but the time was definitely getting close.

Look, your reaction to euthanizing your cat is normal, we all tend to react this way, even when we know, for instance, that the cat had cancer and was going to die in pain within the week. That doesn't mean that it was wrong to euthanize your cat, it means that you're in pain. Now is not the time to second-guess your decision; now is the time to grieve. Please see this thread: Grieving; it may help. Also, this web page has some excellent insights on grieving: COPING WITH DEATH OF PET.

Welcome to The Cat Site. I'm very sorry that it was a tragedy that brought you here, but I'm still glad you found us because this is the most supportive community of cat lovers on the internet. This is a safe place for you to talk about your cat's life, and his death, and your pain, for as long as you need to. We will never say stupid things like, "It was just a cat! Get over it already!" because we know better. You can always come here when you need a shoulder to cry on; we have lots of shoulders available. And because we're a worldwide community you can almost always find some of us online, whenever you need that shoulder.

Margret

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the loss of your kitty. It sounds like you did the best you could given the circumstances. It sounds like you cared deeply for him for 14 years, and he was lucky to know you.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry, I can't tell you whether putting the cat down was rushed or not - it could be that euthonization would be the right choice after tests were done, it also could be he would be on treatment. For what it's worth I know a case where the cat acted like that, he was much younger, they did tests and the best decision still was euthonization.

However all aside I want to say - I truly believe in each moment we make the only decision we could ever make. Would that be the best decision - probably not, and that goes for most decisions, but if we revert time back it would happen the same way all over again, because we wouldn't carry the knowledge and experiences of today.

I also don't want you to feel guilty because having financial problems was the most important variable here, health care should be free for us and our loved ones, if anything is to blame is the system where if you're poor you can die as far as the system is concerned.

Focus on the 14 good years you've provided the cat with a happy life, he had home & protection & love, and that was because you were in his life.

Sending love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitchenschristopher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure you were rushed, which is a pity, but chances are you made the best choice. Not eating for two days means your cat was probably going into liver failure (as a result of not eating), and definitely means your cat didn't feel good. And a 14-year old cat is quite elderly, actually. Some cats do live longer, but the time was definitely getting close.

Look, your reaction to euthanizing your cat is normal, we all tend to react this way, even when we know, for instance, that the cat had cancer and was going to die in pain within the week. That doesn't mean that it was wrong to euthanize your cat, it means that you're in pain. Now is not the time to second-guess your decision; now is the time to grieve. Please see this thread: Grieving; it may help. Also, this web page has some excellent insights on grieving: COPING WITH DEATH OF PET.

Welcome to The Cat Site. I'm very sorry that it was a tragedy that brought you here, but I'm still glad you found us because this is the most supportive community of cat lovers on the internet. This is a safe place for you to talk about your cat's life, and his death, and your pain, for as long as you need to. We will never say stupid things like, "It was just a cat! Get over it already!" because we know better. You can always come here when you need a shoulder to cry on; we have lots of shoulders available. And because we're a worldwide community you can almost always find some of us online, whenever you need that shoulder.

Margret
thank you very much for your encouraging words...I guess its a process like human death...i lost my mom and dad, but this seems to get me worse than any...i guess it was because of the choice i had to make....i will for sure read the article that you posted above....Again,,,thank you very much

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, but you can't let yourself dwell on the 'what if', it'll only tear you apart. I believe, reading your post, that you gave him the best life you could give him, and he lived long and healthy because of that. He was loved and knew he was loved, and those are memories and feelings to be cherished. It's super easy to slip into depression after the loss of a treasured companion, and blaming yourself for their loss isn't healthy. You gave him a very good life, that's the important part.

Be gentle with yourself. You need AND deserve that right now.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
However all aside I want to say - I truly believe in each moment we make the only decision we could ever make.
K kitchenschristopher
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I joined this site during a weekend when I let :angel:Kiki cross the bridge. I had almost no warning she was ill. On Friday morning, she was "off" and we went to the regular vet. They sent her home Saturday morning, but something was not right. She went down Saturday evening, and by Sunday afternoon we were at the ER vet and they could not stabilize her enough to diagnose the cause.

I have second-guessed myself MANY times since then.
I have to remember that the vets were not certain why Kiki crashed. I felt then that I did not want Kiki to be in pain and I did not want her to die in a hospital cage alone, surrounded by strange people, smells and sounds.

Please consider creating a thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum when you feel up to it.
TCS members will listen to you and can help you through the rough times. You had 14 years with your kitty. Try to remember the good times. He took a piece of your heart with him and left a pawprint on your soul

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't beat yourself up. I'll always second guess putting my Delia to sleep (almost 4 years ago), because I didn't have unlimited funds to find out what might have REALLY been wrong with her. But you know what? Even if I had, that doesn't mean she'd have been magically curable either.
I did the best I could for her, her whole life and at the end. And that's what makes me know it was ok to let her go.
One thing that helps me is to try and honor her life by helping other cats. I volunteer at a kitty shelter and I dote on my 3 cats.
The love you had for your guy, and the love he had for you, didn't leave when he did. So please pass it along, even if it's just to your own self for a little while. <3