Did I do the wrong thing? (caution: mention of taxidermy)

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My beloved moggy, Oxley, passed away nearly 2 weeks ago. I wrote about his battle and his passing on these forums.
When I first heard about taxidermy two years ago, I was very sure that was what I wanted done for my beloved moggy, Oxley when he passed (which I hoped was a long time into the future). I love him so much that I want part of his physical presence with me, even if it's really only just his fur, nose and ears. Anything is better than nothing. I wanted a 3D memorial of how he used to look like. Four days before he passed, I managed to find a taxidermist that has done work in museums and zoos, and on cats as well. It's very hard to find taxidermists in our country and it turns out he was one of the best. My mum spoke with him and he was very professional and very respectful. We handed Oxley's body over to him the day after he passed, and passed him photos of what he looked like in life, and told him about his personality
Now after I've done it, I'm starting to second-guess myself. For years when my moggy was alive I was so sure that taxidermy was the way that I wanted to remember him by but now, I keep reading comments and articles saying it's helluva creepy and disrespectful to the memory of your pet and your pet won't look the same. I've already done it and soon the taxidermist will call us in as he'll be doing a 'major adjustment' and he wants us to come in and see so we can tell him how Oxley should look like. I'm dreading going as I'm afraid my moggy won't look the same and I'll just feel sad and disturbed.
Did I do the wrong thing by wanting him preserved? Did I sully his memory by doing it?
I feel so confused now:bawling2:

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do what your heart says. If you want a physical reminder of your little one, how can that be disrespectful? Just so you realize and prepare yourself for the fact that just being alive puts a lot of 'character' on his face and is something that cannot be duplicated after death. I always look upon the deceased, human or cat, and feel that they always look 'different' because the 'essence', or soul, of them has gone on. If i ever had something like this done, I would most likely have them sleeping. I'm sure you might feel shocked/disturbed when you first see him, but in time the feelings will pass and you will grow to enjoy having his physical presence around, I would. His soul or essence has moved on, you will always carry that in your heart, and he will always be near. It is not important now what happens to his physical remains, he is safe and free, and will always be with you in the permanent memorial you have established for him. The Egyptians memorialized their beloved cats and humans they loved, it is a great honor for their remains to be taken care of and preserved. Think of it as a honored tribute to his memory for you and your precious memories.....noone should hold it against you that your love is so strong, your love for that sweet boy is immortal, do not let other people dictate to you what you want done, how you want to perpetuate your love forever. You could also put into your will that you want to spend eternity with your little one, this is as personal and unique to your heart as he was.....bless you for loving that little boy so very much.....

Last edited:

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. Follow your heart. (If you want a natural pose bring a photo.) Clearly you deeply loved your Oxley. Is it wrong to keep pictures up of someone who has died? Having said that, when you have people over you might want to put Oxley in your bedroom but you certainly don't have to.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe it's creepy or disrespectful. I can't say how it might affect you, and you probably won't completely figure that out until you see the finished product. Hopefully seeing the half-finished product won't be too disturbing for you.

Personally, I'm never satisfied with how taxidermied cats look (even big cats), so I don't think I'd do a full-body mount. But I've considered getting their pelts preserved, and maybe the skull. I've never done it though.

:vibes:that you can be at peace with everything.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Do what your heart says. If you want a physical reminder of your little one, how can that be disrespectful? Just so you realize and prepare yourself for the fact that just being alive puts a lot of 'character' on his face and is something that cannot be duplicated after death. I always look upon the deceased, human or cat, and feel that they always look 'different' because the 'essence', or soul, of them has gone on. If i ever had something like this done, I would most likely have them sleeping. I'm sure you might feel shocked/disturbed when you first see him, but in time the feelings will pass and you will grow to enjoy having his physical presence around, I would. His soul or essence has moved on, you will always carry that in your heart, and he will always be near. It is not important now what happens to his physical remains, he is safe and free, and will always be with you in the permanent memorial you have established for him. The Egyptians memorialized their beloved cats and humans they loved, it is a great honor for their remains to be taken care of and preserved. Think of it as a honored tribute to his memory for you and your precious memories.....noone should hold it against you that your love is so strong, your love for that sweet boy is immortal, do not let other people dictate to you what you want done, how you want to perpetuate your love forever. You could also put into your will that you want to spend eternity with your little one, this is as personal and unique to your heart as he was.....bless you for loving that little boy so very much.....
I tried to add some comforting emojis but since the 'upgrade' I am unable to do so on my phone. Everything di and bob said is exactly how I feel. Everything will be fine so stop tormenting yourself, remember your decision was done out of love so please stop second guessing.(((hugs))) 🐈💕🌈

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
a) We all keep memories of our missing beloved. Simply put, memories are pictures, images.

b) Almost all religions have representations of the Divine Characters of one sort or another.

c) We all store photos of our friends, parents - some of them are no longer with us.

Therefore, what is the difference between what you decided to do with your Cat and the above representations (a, b,c)? I cant find any difference, but the method of remembering.

Since it is nothing wrong in the above representations, it comes to the logical conclusion that there is nothing wrong in your decision.

Nobody can beat the Logic.

+++
Lets think now in practical terms. You took your time to find a professional taxidermist. You sent him photos, you took your time to this. To sum up, you spent time. The reason why you spent this time is that you loved Oxley and you still love him. Can Love be disrespectful? For my knowledge, it cant.

+++

I like tofu. Other people hates tofu. Am I wrong? Or they are wrong? Cant decide, there is nothing to ground one conclusion or another.

====

My warm hugs to you and head bow for Oxley the Cat!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is a beautiful way to honor Oxley.

Oxleyy has long since left his body and waits for you in another world and he does not see anything wrong with you wanting a physical reminder of him.

I personally don't think it is creepy and have considered it for my cat, Jeff.

The only thing the artist may not be able to capture perfectly, is Oxley's expression, but you'll always have that memory in your heart.

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
If you look at Oxley and decide that it wasn't the best thing to do you can always have his remains cremated. Whatever happens to his physical body you'll still have all your photos and memories of him as he was.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
:hugs:
Certainly if you have second thoughts you can pay the professional for service rendered and have your loved one cremated. You don't even have to see the taxidermy. They will understand and help with your final wishes.
💕🌷🐾

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetie, if this is what you have chosen, then it is right FOR YOU. There are cultures who actually preserve their dead relatives, and interact with them daily. It isn't wrong, just different. Same here. You do what brings you peace, and the rest of the world can go play tiddleywinks.

If you find that you aren't getting comfort once Oxley has been returned, you can bury or cremate, as pleases you. You can't un-cremate, but you can cremate now, if you find that is better for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I went to the taxidermist today. Oxley's eyes looked different, so he didn't look like himself from the front. The taxidermist kept adjusting his eyes, but they still didn't look like his eyes. I could also see his teeth, as the taxidermist said that the skin/fur shrinks after death. But he looked just like his sweet self from the side, so I'll display him from the side. His fur was well-preserved. Overall, even though he didn't look like himself from the front, I must say the taxidermist did a good job. It wasn't a disturbing, shocking or sad experience, as I was prepared that he wouldn't look the same. I have peace and a conviction that he's gone on to a much better place, and this is just part of the vessel that he was in when he walked this earth. Thank you for all your kind comments.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:( im sorry that Oxley doesn't look the same, but i am glad you found a way to view him in a different angle that he looks the same to you. I find a similar occurring with the photos that i took of both of my cats who have passed this year, and when i look back at them different angles of the photos make them look like a different cat. I guess it is all about perception of what we believe we see, remember how we see it, and also what our mind likes to see, then after not seeing the same image for a long time in physical presence we see something a little different.

I dont think any taxidermist will ever make a once living being exactly the same, as the soul isn't there. And the eyes i feel is the area where you can see life and expression. I am glad that you still have oxley in a different form, it is still a memory and still it is him being beautiful as he always was. You can still touch and feel him in a different way. His soul will always be in your heart and nothing will ever take that away from you.