Did I cut her claw too short?

josie and the

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cut my kitties claws semi regularly so she's used to it. That's not to say she likes it but she will usually let me get 2 - 3 a time while she's sleepy. Her claw not in her front paw, whatever that's called, has been catching on everything but I haven't been able to get to it until last night when she got stuck to her cat tree and needed assistance (hence the need to act quickly). I clipped it it but this time she meowed at me and behaved like I cut her toe off. It's not bleeding and I don't think I cut too much off and perhaps it was because she wasn't sleepy but... Can I still cut it too short without it bleeding? She showed no other obvious signs of discomfort the rest of the night. She has me totally suckered and upset that I might have hurt her. 

Thanks in advance :)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think if you'd cut the quick, it would bleed.  The quick actually consists of blood vessels and nerves so almost by definition it will bleed if cut.  I've had cats meow at me when I'm releasing a caught claw, even when no clipping is involved.  It could mean the claw is getting twisted, but sometimes it's just because the cat is upset at the situation.  I've always interpreted those meows to mean they feel trapped and not in control.  

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine when you get a bit too close to the quick the pressure of the clippers can pinch a bit. I haven't cut all the way to the quick with my cat before (I have with my dog and her black nails), but I do think I have come a bit too close based on how thick the nail felt when I pressed down on the clippers and her cries when I did it. How much it really hurts and how much is put on for show to make sure I don't come close to her nail again I'm not entirely sure. But she's always made a remarkable recovery! I think it also might be a bit like when a toddler falls and starts crying-the more you pay attention to them, the more they think it "hurts." 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

josie and the

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Ladies.  I did think the "no blood no foul" rule might be applied here but then again it I might have been just a tad too close, just not close enough. I gave her treats afterwards just in case and when I wouldn't give her anymore she bit the hand that was feeding her so perhaps we are even?!

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I go with the 'no blood no foul' method. My cats yell at me when I do their claws, even if I just cut the very tips off. 

bennedeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having a cat declawed or cutting their nails is equivalent to cutting the fingers or toes off a human. That's why the cat probably tried to bite you even though you gave it treats after the clipping.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
B bennedeto , no one mentioned having this cat declawed. The OP (original poster) was simply talking about trimming a nail that had grown too long and was causing the cat to get stuck on furniture. Trimming nails is a fairly routine part of caring for a cat.

bennedeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@CatPack OK...I got anxious and just wrote quickly. I just felt bad for the cat, but a trimming for a long nail is probably good for that instance. Sorry. No hate, just love for the cats!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a cat declawed or cutting their nails is equivalent to cutting the fingers or toes off a human. That's why the cat probably tried to bite you even though you gave it treats after the clipping.
Clipping claws is not equivalent to amputating fingers or toes.  Declawing is.

Claws grow back, like fingernails.  Cats may not like having them clipped, but it's hardly amputation, and when done correctly it isn't painful.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks Ladies.  I did think the "no blood no foul" rule might be applied here but then again it I might have been just a tad too close, just not close enough. I gave her treats afterwards just in case and when I wouldn't give her anymore she bit the hand that was feeding her so perhaps we are even?!
No blood, no foul is correct.  You're also probably correct that there may have been some uncomfortable pressure, or it may simply have been that she was already upset.  I'm sure you've noticed that when you clip her other claws they tend to kind of splinter.  This is the way claws are "designed" (no, I'm not a proponent of Intelligent Design).  When cats sharpen their claws on the scratching post (hopefully, but sometimes the furniture) what they're actually doing is pulling off the outer sheathe of the claw, revealing the sharper claw growing inside.  Do they think they're sharpening their claws?  I've no idea.  However, I can easily believe that the outer sheathe becomes uncomfortable for them if it's left too long.  It may be that when that outer sheathe splinters when you clip the claws that splintering propagates up into the toe, causing some discomfort.  This is one reason why I try to keep as far from the quick as possible, consistent with actually blunting the claws.

Those claws that are further up the leg are called "dewclaws."  Since there are only four toes (fingers) on a cat's front paw, I've concluded that they're the feline equivalent of thumbs, just not opposable.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  In general, trimming dewclaws is a much less urgent priority than trimming the other front claws, since they aren't involved in kneading.

Does your cat tend to bite you when she isn't upset?  Jasmine does sometimes.  She appears to consider them love bites.  I respond with a loud "Ow!" and a hiss.  She still does it, but that will stop her temporarily.  In general, cats don't understand how sensitive or closely attached human skin is, or that clothing doesn't usually give as much protection as fur.

Margret