Did Felix Forget Me?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out on June 3rd and unfortunately couldn't take Felix with me. I left him in the care of my mother. I haven't interacted with him much since I moved out until this week Tuesday and today. He is acting strangely towards me. On Tuesday, he looked at me scared so I stretched my hand out for him to sniff it (because that usually calms him down when he's not sure who it is) and he was rubbing on me for a little bit but then he suddenly got upset and hissed softly at me and slapped me. It wasn't a hard slap. His claws were not out or anything and there was no growling. Then, he rubbed on me again and then continued with the hissing and slapping. Has he forgotten who I am because I haven't seen him in some months? Today, he was more calm around me and came out for me to pet him (he didn't on Tuesday). We were having a good time and then he went back to hissing softly and slapping me, no claws. He did bite me but it wasn't hard bites. I'm not sure what's going on here...

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him time. It’s all traumatic for him, he’s hardly had time to adjust. My Phoebe turned her back and hissed at me when I collected her after three weeks in two catteries a couple of years ago and I’ve had her for years.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, Felix is an older cat, and generally speaking they will take longer to adapt to changes. How is he doing with your mother? Please see if you can spend much more time with him than you have so far, and just play it all by ear, letting him make the moves to get more adjusted to you being around. He is just not sure about you, what with all that he has been through; so, he just needs to have some time to accept you back in his life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
So, Felix is an older cat, and generally speaking they will take longer to adapt to changes. How is he doing with your mother? Please see if you can spend much more time with him than you have so far, and just play it all by ear, letting him make the moves to get more adjusted to you being around. He is just not sure about you, what with all that he has been through; so, he just needs to have some time to accept you back in his life.
He gets along fine with my mom. She sends me videos all the time of him being loving. But she was having issues cutting his nails because he would get upset when she tries to do it (it's usually my job and he doesn't fuss with me). Currently, I will only be able to see him 3 days a week briefly. Maybe an hour or so in the mornings and the evenings Monday to Wednesday but I don't know how that will change when the workload picks up. I wish I could bring him to the house I'm staying at but they have 4 cats already and Felix would not get along with any of them.