Dichroic Eyes

kcpaull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how common golden eyes with a bright green ring around the pupil are. I have ten cats I have taken in who are descended from one poor little female owned by an irresponsible person who lives about 1/4 mile from here. One has golden eyes, but all three of her kittens have the Dichroic golden eyes with the bright green ring around the pupil. The oldest of these kittens, Ajax, was born last spring and came here when a huge black tom cat chased him away from his mother. The younger two kittens, born this spring I trapped with their mother in June. All are spayed or neutered so I thought that would be the end of kittens, however, this August the matriarch of this line had another litter that was given at 3.5 weeks old to an imbecile who couldn't even feed himself and who finally brought them to me. When I got them, they were starving and dehydrated, but they all survived and are healthy kittens now. They all have the golden eyes with the bright green ring around the pupil in varying degrees of darkness.

My question is just how common these golden eyes with bright green ring around the pupil are? I know it's called 'Dichroic' but until last spring, I had never seen any cats like that, so it's not that common in this particular area.  I assume it is carried with the gene for black coat color as all the kittens have a variation of black coloration.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds really interesting. Can you post a picture of one of your cat's eyes to illustrate? Maybe one of the breeders here will know more about how eye colour is passed on and if it's connected to the black coat markings.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, your cat is stunning. My cat Friskies has these colored eyes, some days they vary from emerald green to a light yellow. He's a tabby cat with black rings and spots. I raised him up from a 2 day old newborn, him and his sister but only he has these kind of eyes. I never knew there was a name for it. 

Jakob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize it's been a couple years but my cat is the same! We found her under a. Wood pallet as a kitten and at first her fur was grey with brown tips and her eyes were bright green. Now she's 7 months and her eyes are gold on the outside and bright green rings around the middle, and her fur is black with a grey smoke coat underneath!