Diatomaceous Earth

Tiggerbugsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought I'd share my recent experiences with it as I've several friends who had thought about it but were unsure and were anxious to hear how what my experiences with it were.

I bought DE several years ago with intention of taking in internally and doing same for my cats. I started researching because I'm a research geek/freak on health issues for both myself and cats and I found there were many people saying they'd had great results in themselves and critter but lots saying it was stupid to think it would work, etc. so I put it aside and hadn't used it. Something brought it to mind recently so I thought I'd give it a try. I researched doses for both humans and cats which I found to be strange...many called for same amount for people as critters...I don't like that so as usual I used my own common sense and decided to alter doses. I'm starting slowly for both of us. I've got the cats on 1/4 tsp but only have done it once every few days.

What I've noticed in cats is great so far. Two of my guys, one four y/o and one about 8 y/o perked up. The 4 year old hadn't been quite as zippy and crazy with activity as he had been...he was always like a kitten energy wise....now he's back to running at full speed and climbing trees! I have a cat proof fence around my yard so my guys do have outside access when I'm home during day. The other cat had been a little less social and now she's back to normal herself. Btw, the 4 year old had a wicked appetite...hardly ever satisfied. Now, I see he's less hungry so I surely suspect he had some worms....but heck supposedly we all do! I feed raw btw, have been for 20 years.

For the cats I mix the De in a bit of water and/or raw meat juice....I used RadCat primarily so I always add water to the middle of the food in the container once there's enough room after feeding a few times. So after adding the water and mixing the de well I then plop a spoonful of food on it and mix it up. Sometimes I'll add fish oil too. The big thing is to keep adding water to their meals or offering a healthy meat juice for several days after so they don't get dehydrated. I'm always adding water anyway as I live in SWest of US.p but they get extra for two,days after DE.

I've been doing half to 3/4 tsp for me and drinking lots....I had a headache afterwards every time and BM changed a bit but a day or two,later I felt better than before I took it. I'm continuing all of us on it but I'm opting to do it in small doses and maybe once a week or so....don't think I'd ever do it daily even for a limited time.

I'm an all natural freak about myself and my furkids and considered using an herbal cat worker as I've done in past years but I don't like the alcohol in them formthe cats so DE is my choice.

Hope this helps for anyone wondering about DE!

Emy-senpai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oooh thank you so so much for this. I was looking to get some as an extra flea control. But also for kitty.... She has gingivitis and her mouth is an absolute stinker....

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting discussion! I'd forgotten it is also used orally. I buy it to treat my yard, for ticks etc. I always make sure to by "food grade," yet never really thought about taking it myself, or for my dogs and cats. Thanks for starting an idea in my head!