Diatomaceous Earth Users - What Were Your Results?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
our senior cat can't use flea drops or stuff like that, so we've been fighting a battle with constant vacuuming, steam mopping, flea combing and what have you. i finally picked up a bag of diatomaceous earth, and yesterday started blowing it into cracks in the floor, under desks and bookcases and so on, and we put a little on the cat.

i also combed off a bunch of fleas, put them in a ziplock bag, and poured plenty of diatomaceous earth in the bag. 4 hours later, most of the fleas were still alive. 8 hours later, still alive. 12 hours later, the same, and i threw away the bag.

so i'm wondering. i know many sites recommend diatomaceous earth for fleas, but many seem to be quoting each other, and they say that it should kill fleas within 4 hours of introducing it on the cat, but my experiment with the bag o' fleas has made me wonder.

have you TCS members used it with success that was significant enough that you know it wasn't just a shift in the weather?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a tenant who brought bedbugs into her apt. The professional exterminator used the diatomaceous earth in the plug and light switches and around the baseboards, as well as a spray pesticide. It doesnt kill quickly. I think it takes days.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use 20 Mule Team Borax powder. I sprinkle it all over the carpet, letting it set for a few hours then vacuum several times. That instantly kills the fleas on the carpet. I also use Pet Armour Plus flea medication on my Ragdolls. Those diabolical fleas are at bay!

Last edited: