Diatomaceous earth for fleas?

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So after my many years doing cat rescue and fostering, I've finally gotten hit with a major flea infestation. I've had almost everything under the sun here at one point or another, so I guess it's the fleas' turn now :ohwell:

So I'm wondering, what is your experience/recommendations regarding Diatomaceous earth? I have the food grade.

My concerns are that even though "the internet" says it's non-toxic, there are lots of reputable sources and vets that caution using it. I want to apply it to my carpeting but as my house is really, literally full of cats, I'm concerned when they'll inevitably get exposed to it.

From what I've read so far:
1. Use food grade (check)
2. Wear gloves, mask when applying (check)
3. Put in a sock to use as a duster
4. Remove pets during application
5. Leave in for up to a couple weeks, then vacuum.
This is where I'm concerned. Yes, pets won't be present during application, but this is dust. It's not like a different pesticide that says pets can return after pesticide dries. It would be applied as dust and remain as dust meaning the cats will inevitably walk on it, lie in it, get it on their fur and consume it while pruning, and will probably breathe it in (because it's dust).The precautions I've read is to avoid breathing it in or consuming it. If I leave it in the carpet and let the cats back into the area, how is this not going to cause the bad exposure from happening?
6. Don't put directly onto pets
Conflicting info here. Some sources say it's okay, reputable sources and some vets say no way). This, again, brings up the exposure (and DE inevitably in the cat's fur). If it's not okay to apply directly to cat, how is it then okay to let the cat go lie in it, or rough-house in it and get the DE on their fur and get the dust particles back up into the air to be possibly inhaled?

I really do want to use this solution over using a chemical pesticide but the information out there is totally conficting. Sources say keep off of pets, but then says it's okay for pets to roam around on it.

Thoughts? Anecdotes? Professional, scientific definitive answers?

TIA,
-Art
cat rescue/tnr/fostering 10+ yrs but surprisingly, this is my first flea infestation

btw: I do have a good vacuum and a rug cleaning machine so got that part covered 😁

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diatomaceous earth does help kill fleas but it's not a panacea.

The reason why diatomaceous earth works is because it is abrasive. DE comes from the shells of microscopic, single-cell, algae (known as diatoms) which are made out of silica. DE is, basically, microscopic particles of glass or sand. Fleas and other insects (like cockroaches) have a thin, waxy coating on the outside of their bodies that prevents water from evaporating. When the insect crawls through an area treated with DE, some of it gets on their bodies and acts like sandpaper to remove part of that waxy coating. Over a period of time, the insect's body will dry out and it will die of dehydration.

Yes, diatomaceous earth is relatively inert and, generally, won't harm you or your pets but, if it gets inhaled it can cause harm to the lungs and respiratory tract. If you are careful and don't "poof" it into the air, you'll probably be all right but, still, you have to watch out.

Probably the best way to use diatomaceous earth is to sprinkle a small amount onto the carpet then vacuum the floor with a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum won't be able to pick up all of the dust but will remove the excess and it will distribute the leftovers evenly throughout the area.

Be sure to THOROUGHLY clean your vacuum, afterward, or else you might cause it to burn out! Most household vacuum cleaners can't handle that much fine dust! You'll probably want to wear a dust mask, just in case. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the cats out of the area until the air settles, too.

Yes, diatomaceous earth will help but you shouldn't consider it a first-line defense. You should use it only as an addition to doing other things. De-flea all of your cats and dogs. Use anti-flea insecticides when and where safe or appropriate. Vacuum the hell out of all carpeting, upholstery, pet beds, human beds or any other places where your cats and dogs go. You need to remove/kill any living fleas, dead fleas, flea eggs or any other flea detritus that might be embedded in your carpets, bedding and upholstery. Any washable items should be taken up and washed in the hottest water available. Use chlorine bleach when safe and appropriate to do so.

Call your vet and talk about long-term flea treatments like flea collars or other medications. If you and your vet can come to a good understanding, use those flea treatments religiously.

Then, and only then, after you have cleaned the house, de-flead your pets and done everything else, you can put down some diatomaceous earth and vacuum it into your carpets.

Diatomaceous earth CAN help knock down the flea population inside your house but not unless you do all the other things first.

The only other thing would be to keep your cats indoors where they can't come into contact with fleas. (Assuming your house is already flea-free.)

We have two cats. They are 100% indoor cats but we still take them to the vet for flea medication every spring, just to be sure. Spring and summer are the time when fleas come out of hiding. Right?

We keep the house clean, regularly de-flea our cats, keep them indoors and we haven't had a single problem with fleas in nearly ten years. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have used food grade diatomaceaous earth and my results were so-so. I did put it along my baseboards, and dusted a line down the cats backs. The pros are it's cheap, and the cons are it doesn't always work as promised. The big cons are it is incredibly dusty, and if there is any cat with asthma or bronchial issues, it wouldn't be the best choice unfortunately.
Do the cats go outside at all? Are the cats all affected, and are they all free-mixing (not separated into colonies?)

chesterspal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried it on my dog. It's was worthless.

Fleas jump so unless you happen to drown them in the stuff it has little afffect.

I had the best luck with a pet-safe spray that I applied to his coat when he was scratching. It is basically a soapy chemical that does much the same as the powder. It messes up with their exoskeleton and they die instantly. Since it has this slighly sticky feel they cannot escape it that easy.

I could spray him at bedtime and he'd sleep soudly all night.

I created a similar home-made version using Dawn dish detergent and apple cider vinegar. Seemed to work just as well IMHO.

I finally got him on the Revolution drops. Worked but not perfect although on my two cats it worked great.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use Cheristin. Though in the awful house/yard flea infestation of 2010 or 2012 I bombed the house, switched to cheristin & treated the yard with flea poison (for yards.) The fleas in our area had become resistant to advantage. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried it on my dog. It's was worthless.
You shouldn't put it on the dog. In that situation, you are right. The stuff is worthless.

Diatomaceous earth works slowly, by abrasion. It causes fleas to dehydrate and die from lack of water.

The way to use it is to spread it around areas where fleas are known to live. You must also use other methods such as meticulous cleaning, applying the proper insecticides and administering the proper medications to the animal.

When used by itself, without taking other measures, diatomaceous earth will only have moderate effects, at best.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DE is awful. It takes too long to work and in the meantime, it's going to dry you and the cats out as well.

A much better and more effective product is FleaBusters.

You already have the basic instructions. I've modified them here for this product.

1. Wear gloves, mask and eye protection when applying (very dusty!)
3. Put a sock or pantyhose over the opening to use as a duster
4. Remove pets during application and for one hour after to let the dust settle.
5. Use a brush to work the powder deep into the carpet. Vacuum up any excess that can't be worked into the carpet.
6. You may resume your normal vacuuming after 1-2 days.

You can also hire licensed FleaBusters to apply it for you.

Fleabusters® Rx for Fleas Plus® - Fleabusters

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my college jobs was working as an overnight security guard in a high rise hotel. Like a Sheraton but a different name.
Every year, they would shut down whole groups of floors, in rotation, to have them exterminated. They'd start at the top floor and work their way down. The rooms would be stripped of curtains and bedding, etc. Every storage closet would be emptied. All the maid's carts would be taken out. Then, they would come in and fog all the rooms and halls with insecticide. They would check to see if there were signs of infestation then treat problems as necessary. Then the rooms would be cleaned by housekeeping, new drapes, fresh bedding, all that. The rooms would be spotless!

During my night shift, I would have to patrol every floor of the building at least twice per shift. (Four guards and two patrols each ensures that every guest floor is checked at least once per hour.) Anyhow, I would occasionally have to check on floors that were being exterminated. It was during one of these patrols I talked to a supervisor who told me that they use diatomaceous earth, spread around the baseboards, to help keep the insect population down. He's the one who first explained why it works and how to use it.

The extermination company recommended diatomaceous earth because it saves all the hassle of dealing with longer acting chemical insecticides. It's just the expense of the chemicals and the time and effort to apply them and clean up, afterward. Using DE is cheaper and easier. Besides, it never hurts to be able to say that you use natural insecticides in guest rooms. From what I gathered in four years of working there, it worked as well as anything provided the room was cleaned well, beforehand.

I have also tried using diatomaceous earth at home and, as I said, it helps but it's not a cure-all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Diatomaceous earth does help kill fleas but it's not a panacea.

The reason why diatomaceous earth works is because it is abrasive. DE comes from the shells of microscopic, single-cell, algae (known as diatoms) which are made out of silica. DE is, basically, microscopic particles of glass or sand. Fleas and other insects (like cockroaches) have a thin, waxy coating on the outside of their bodies that prevents water from evaporating. When the insect crawls through an area treated with DE, some of it gets on their bodies and acts like sandpaper to remove part of that waxy coating. Over a period of time, the insect's body will dry out and it will die of dehydration.

Yes, diatomaceous earth is relatively inert and, generally, won't harm you or your pets but, if it gets inhaled it can cause harm to the lungs and respiratory tract. If you are careful and don't "poof" it into the air, you'll probably be all right but, still, you have to watch out.

Probably the best way to use diatomaceous earth is to sprinkle a small amount onto the carpet then vacuum the floor with a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum won't be able to pick up all of the dust but will remove the excess and it will distribute the leftovers evenly throughout the area.

Be sure to THOROUGHLY clean your vacuum, afterward, or else you might cause it to burn out! Most household vacuum cleaners can't handle that much fine dust! You'll probably want to wear a dust mask, just in case. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the cats out of the area until the air settles, too.

Yes, diatomaceous earth will help but you shouldn't consider it a first-line defense. You should use it only as an addition to doing other things. De-flea all of your cats and dogs. Use anti-flea insecticides when and where safe or appropriate. Vacuum the hell out of all carpeting, upholstery, pet beds, human beds or any other places where your cats and dogs go. You need to remove/kill any living fleas, dead fleas, flea eggs or any other flea detritus that might be embedded in your carpets, bedding and upholstery. Any washable items should be taken up and washed in the hottest water available. Use chlorine bleach when safe and appropriate to do so.

Call your vet and talk about long-term flea treatments like flea collars or other medications. If you and your vet can come to a good understanding, use those flea treatments religiously.

Then, and only then, after you have cleaned the house, de-flead your pets and done everything else, you can put down some diatomaceous earth and vacuum it into your carpets.

Diatomaceous earth CAN help knock down the flea population inside your house but not unless you do all the other things first.

The only other thing would be to keep your cats indoors where they can't come into contact with fleas. (Assuming your house is already flea-free.)

We have two cats. They are 100% indoor cats but we still take them to the vet for flea medication every spring, just to be sure. Spring and summer are the time when fleas come out of hiding. Right?

We keep the house clean, regularly de-flea our cats, keep them indoors and we haven't had single problem with fleas in nearly ten years. :)
Excellent response! Thank you 👍

All the cats minus one are indoor only. I, myself, am of course indoor/outdoor, so I or visitors may be bringing them in as well. Tell you the truth, I'm kind of suspecting some used pet bedding I got and probably failed to clean properly before using it. My house, I gotta admit, is NOT all that clean. It's just me and a bunch of cats and I'm sure all of us know how much fun/damage can occur :bliss:
. I like to tell people I live with a bunch of roommates that knock stuff off a shelf and go, "huh.."

Thank you for your advice on not relying on DE as the main defense. I was kind of thinking of it that way.

I'll keep vacuuming and cleaning and giving flea meds and put down some DE later 👍

-Art