Diarrhoea after Vet Visits - normal?

TobyTims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Lola has had about 3 cases of diarrhoea over the past 1-2 months. The first time I took her to the vet, they said she otherwise seemed well and to put her on a boiled chicken diet which sorted it out.

She’s been back to the vet twice since then, for unrelated issues (she was having a cat flu flare up and put on some medication).

Ive realised that after each of her last two vet visits, she has developed diarrhoea again.

For example, her last vet visit was 2 days ago. In the lead up, she was eating better than she ever has, and her stool looked excellent. But post-vet, she has developed diarrhoea again (for past 72 hours) and is a bit off her food.

Is it possible this is a stress reaction she is having to the vet? Is it normal (or common) to have diarrhoea for this period after a vet visit? Id love any advice or thoughts!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, stress can absolutely throw off a cat's poop, in either direction actually. Sometimes a can can have constipation, or diarrhea after dealing with stress. It can also last for a few days, or longer.
It can also be caused by any fluids, vaccinations or medications the vet may administer to your cat.
I know the other members will chime in with great ideas on how to combat diarrhea, but my go-to choice has always been purée pumpkin. You can get any plain purée pumpkin at the grocery and add a little bit (a spoonful should be good) to your cat's meals. The purée pumpkin will help to restore regularity in your kitty. I hope this situation gets resolved soon!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use s boulardii when my cats have diarrhoea, usually clears up after 2 days. I haven't tried pumpkin mainly because I can't get it in its natural form where I live but I know many members use it with success.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobyTims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! I find that feeding her a boiled chicken diet for a few days general helps cure it - I was more curious about whether the diarrhea was linked to the vet visit or whether I should be concerned that something else was going on. Sounds like its quite common for cats to have this kind of reaction to stress?