Diarrhea

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shere Khan if nearing five years and he has been fixed for about half of that time. He seems to be healthy and powerful, but he has calmed down considerably since kitten time. He is a lap cat.

My cats normally go in the yard. This week has been bitterly cold, so we are all inside.

Shere Khan has had the runs really, really bad for several days and he may have had them for some time in the yard. This would be easy to ignore since he seems fine, but I think I had better act.

What should I do for the runs?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try adding some pumpkin puree in his food. Just plain pumpkin puree either from a pet specific pouch or buy a can of pumpkin puree from the grocery store (NOT pie filling, you can freeze extra in an ice cube tray). Mix about a tablespoon in with 1 to 2 meals a day. I'd give it 2 to 3 days with the pumpkin and see a vet if it doesn't get better or if he has any other symptoms. Personally, I would make an appointment now and cancel if you don't end up needing it.

With the outdoor access, it's hard to say what it could be from.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides the vet,feed him canned since diaheria causes dehydration. Main allergens are fish and chicken so try a different protein. The vet can give him fluids if needed

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, he needs to get to the vet and make sure he's not dehydrated. You may also need to change his food. Sometimes Metronidazole (rx from vet) will help with diarrhea. I give my kitty slippery elm bark syrup to help firm him up and it works pretty well for him.