Diarrhea

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got home Sunday night around 1 am from a 5 day vacation. While we were away my petsitter (who came twice a day) told us she was cleaning up loose stool daily. We have a cat with a history of being in a constipation/ diarrhea cycle and is suspected of having mild IBD. My vet does not think she warrants meds yet and we control her symptoms through diet. She won't eat the prescription food all the time though so we do it in rotation.

When I got home I found loose stool all over some with blood (which is typical for her when she has a bout). Her diarrhea usually lasts 2-4 days then she is normal for a few months then mildly constipated and then after a week of that she becomes diarrheal again.

So yesterday we had a bunch of human doctor appointments and we just squeezed in at trip to the store to pick up her special food- Hills feline I/D. They did not have any so desperately we asked what would be a decent substitute and we got a recommendation for whole-hearted sensitive stomach.

Now that cat seems to be back to normal. It's not great but this is all within the norm for her and we know she had some stress while we were gone because she gets separation anxiety and doesn't like closed doors- we had to shut off the upper floor so the sitter could easily get to our cat that needs a daily pill.

All the cats snacked on this new food for their Monday PM meal. But one of our new adoptees who is at this point 18 weeks old had really bad liquid poops all over the house this morning. It was like lava out of Vesuvius bad and absolute liquid. No blood or mucus but just liquid- all down our stairs all over the living room and dining room.

He's in a crate in the living room so we can observe him and his next poop. He's eating (not the new experimental food but his old food) and drinking. He doesn't seem hot, lethargic or distressed. He has not pooped since this all went down this morning. He's not appreciating being crated of course.

Our vet had no availability for today and is booked for the week actually. I'm inclined to call this a wait and see and perhaps just bring in a fecal sample for the young one and our older one just to be safe. Is it possible for a cat to react so badly to a different food? I've never seen anything this dramatic. The new food is low fiber and I know he went to town on it. There were plates down of the regular food and plates with the new food and he gobbled the new food up. I commented to my husband how he was pigging out. He ate much more than normal possibly because the food was novel to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He just had liquid poops in the crate. I am following my gut and made an appointment for both cats tomorrow am with a different vet we’ve never seen. He is new to the practice at our backup vet practice (they are in a rich area and very very expensive as in $300 for a male neuter). But it’s all we can do. IME cats never get sick at convenient times. At least its not labor day. Looking on the bright side:(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess it is too late to tell you this - but, for the 'next time' (hoping there isn't one), you can - as long as your vet allows it - take fecal samples for each cat into the vet's for testing without having to take the cats in. Ask for both a standard fecal check and the full fecal PCR. This would also enable your regular vet to take a look at the results and call to talk to you about them.

Just collect their poop - even from the litter box - bag it and refrigerate it, if need be, until you take it to the vets.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I guess it is too late to tell you this - but, for the 'next time' (hoping there isn't one).
I'm sure there will be!

you can - as long as your vet allows it - take fecal samples for each cat into the vet's for testing without having to take the cats in. Ask for both a standard fecal check and the full fecal PCR. This would also enable your regular vet to take a look at the results and call to talk to you about them.

Just collect their poop - even from the litter box - bag it and refrigerate it, if need be, until you take it to the vets.
Good idea. I will try this next time. This time they needed to see the cat first since it's a new client and because he's still young I wanted to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong.

He did have the worst diarrhea I've ever seen the night before last. It was spectacular. But today we got a solid poop so I'm rejoicing big time!

I found out that he has some separation anxiety so maybe it was stress from us being away coupled with eating the new food (for one meal but pigging out) that upset his system. The vet wouldn't conjecture on the cause but the fecal came back negative for parasites, giardia and coccidia thankfully.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just had liquid poops in the crate. I am following my gut and made an appointment for both cats tomorrow am with a different vet we’ve never seen. He is new to the practice at our backup vet practice (they are in a rich area and very very expensive as in $300 for a male neuter). But it’s all we can do. IME cats never get sick at convenient times. At least its not labor day. Looking on the bright side:(
I'll look on the bright side with you. Diarrhea is only dangerous if left to go on, ignored, for long periods of time, it could be something like a bug or just stress or something simple that a round of medicines will clear right up :)
I literally can't think of a single holiday that we haven't had an emergency, right down to Christmas Eve. I can think of three off the top of my head that involved Labor Day (and one of those was actually LABOR, as is babies incoming :eek:). If they don't choose a holiday, it's almost always a Sunday.
It's easy to get discouraged, but you're taking action. It'll be OK :wave3:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!