Diarrhea With Wet Food

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I found your thread while searching for a similar issue with my kitten. Have you found a solution to the diarrhea with wet food? I tried giving wet food to my kitten three times already, and each time he ends up with soft stool/diarrhea after a few days. He is fine after going back to dry food...
Did you compare ingredients and nutritional content to see if there is something in the wet food that might be the culprit? Also, did you try adding water to the dry food to see if that makes a difference?

There were other suggestions/ideas given to the OP that you might want to consider as well.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
sometimes plain canned pumpkin can fix the diarrhea. It's possible your kitty has a reaction to something in the wet food-there's things added to it to preserve it and keep it stable for an extended shelf life=better to feed what foods give a healthy colon. Some cats don't respond well to wet food. Each cat is individual. I have had cats live to almost 19 years on kibble. I just make sure there's extra water dishes around...

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
No, he is still eating only good quality kibbles. Merlin is now almost 2 year old,but nothing changed. He gets terrible diarrhea after a couple of days!
Thanks for the reply! My kitten is only 4.5 months old, so I’m not sure if it will get better when he is a bit older. He goes crazy whenever he gets wet food or boiled chicken, so it’s also possible he ate too fast or too much at a time. There are other things I can try like switch the brand, give some pumpkin with the wet food etc, but I have to take it slow and only try one thing at a time. It takes about 1-2 weeks for him to go back to normal after the diarrhea.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! My kitten is only 4.5 months old, so I’m not sure if it will get better when he is a bit older. He goes crazy whenever he gets wet food or boiled chicken, so it’s also possible he ate too fast or too much at a time. There are other things I can try like switch the brand, give some pumpkin with the wet food etc, but I have to take it slow and only try one thing at a time. It takes about 1-2 weeks for him to go back to normal after the diarrhea.
Did your kitty get dewormed? Sometimes kittens get them and sometimes need 2 rounds of dewormer to get rid of the diarrhea.

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you compare ingredients and nutritional content to see if there is something in the wet food that might be the culprit? Also, did you try adding water to the dry food to see if that makes a difference?

There were other suggestions/ideas given to the OP that you might want to consider as well.
I’m currently giving him Nature’s Variety Instinct chicken kitten wet food. I gave him a quarter of the 3oz can on day 1, then another quarter on day 2. He was great. By day 3, the food has been in the fridge for 3 days, so I gave him the remaining 1/2 can just to see how much he will eat. He finished the whole thing! He had the food at 8:30pm, was fine the whole night, and then had diarrhea this morning at 7am. If it’s something he can’t tolerate, shouldn’t he go to the bathroom soon after he ate it?

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did your kitty get dewormed? Sometimes kittens get them and sometimes need 2 rounds of dewormer to get rid of the diarrhea.
Hi, yes, he had two rounds of deworming, and I did a fecal test for him the first time he had diarrhea after wet food. That time he even had some blood in it, so I had to get it tested. The test came back normal, and he went back to normal after eating dry food again. He is completely fine with boiled chicken breast, but I only give it to him as a treat. I just need to do a bit more experiment and see if I can narrow down to what exactly is causing this. He LOVES wet food, so it would be great if we can make it work. Otherwise, I guess he is stuck with kibbles!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m currently giving him Nature’s Variety Instinct chicken kitten wet food. I gave him a quarter of the 3oz can on day 1, then another quarter on day 2. He was great. By day 3, the food has been in the fridge for 3 days, so I gave him the remaining 1/2 can just to see how much he will eat. He finished the whole thing! He had the food at 8:30pm, was fine the whole night, and then had diarrhea this morning at 7am. If it’s something he can’t tolerate, shouldn’t he go to the bathroom soon after he ate it?
Not necessarily. Any ingested foods usually take 12 hours up to 3 days to make the entire journey through the intestines UNLESS something else is going on, like a reaction or bug? 12 hours later sounds about right. That's usually how long it takes to get a poo from my cats when feed canned pumpkin... that's weird that the canned food causes this-some cats don't handle certain proteins-maybe he is allergic to chicken. Have you tried a non poultry flavor?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it’s something he can’t tolerate, shouldn’t he go to the bathroom soon after he ate it?
When Feeby started having loose stools from a food she was eating, she still only went once a day - which is her norm. However, she typically uses the litterbox shortly after eating anyway - always has.

neko2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. Any ingested foods usually take 12 hours up to 3 days to make the entire journey through the intestines UNLESS something else is going on, like a reaction or bug? 12 hours later sounds about right. That's usually how long it takes to get a poo from my cats when feed canned pumpkin... that's weird that the canned food causes this-some cats don't handle certain proteins-maybe he is allergic to chicken. Have you tried a non poultry flavor?
He is fine with boiled chicken breast, and he also eats a chicken based dry food, so I thought chicken canned food is the safest bet lol. The second time I introduced wet food to him was with rabbit meat. He ended up with soft stool after one 3oz can (divided into four days).