diarrhea while laying down

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
We only adopted Gracie a few days ago and the shelter warned us she's had diarrhea that they've been trying to correct.

It's pale brown/goldish/liquidy, but not watery.

Her food HAS changed, too since bringing her home since the store forgot to tell us what she was on when we left with her.

She's 5mo old and since bringing her home we've had her penned in a large pen. She played a little yesterday, but mostly lays down and observes (I assume from nerves/new surroundings.) So she doesn't SEEM lethargic.

But when I opened the case to pet her, she leaned into my hand for pets and ended up having an accident (diarrhea) on her bed while laying there.

I already plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow to check for FeLV, but I'm curious - is this abnormal?

Also her sister, who she came into the shelter with, was tested for FeLV and the tests came back negative. Do you think it's possible she HAS FeLV??

Other than the diarrhea, she seems totally fine =/

I'm gonna be a stressed out nervous wreck until we get the results tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I also read this:

"On the other hand, an animal may have a negative test result, even if they have been infected with the virus, if they are tested during the incubation period, which is usually 2 to 4 weeks, but can be as long as 12 months. It is recommended that an animal be retested at 60 days, minimum, if there is a positive test result or if there has been potential exposure within the last 60 days."

Should I be worried about Charlie? He tested negative around 5 or 6 weeks old =(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can, of course, have Charlie re-checked. It isn't a bad idea. HOWEVER...do not borrow trouble. Enough will find you on its own. There are many, many causes for diarrhea, and most of them are, thankfully, fairly benign. It's a matter of tracking down which little nasty is causing it, and eliminating that little nasty. And if it is severe enough, she could "leak" a bit like you are describing. Let us know what your vet says, please! We'll fret!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can, of course, have Charlie re-checked. It isn't a bad idea. HOWEVER...do not borrow trouble. Enough will find you on its own. There are many, many causes for diarrhea, and most of them are, thankfully, fairly benign. It's a matter of tracking down which little nasty is causing it, and eliminating that little nasty. And if it is severe enough, she could "leak" a bit like you are describing. Let us know what your vet says, please! We'll fret!

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie's upset stomach could be, I realize, due to us alternating his food given he's a kitten. Other than the diarrhea there really isn't any symptoms with him.

He's active, has a GREAT coat - it's soft and shiny, bright pink gums, good appetite and likes to drink water and is growing well/gaining weight as he should. As far as I understand, his siblings are also in good condition.

Gracie's also seemingly only having diarrhea problems. She's not super active, but she isn't lethargic either. She's very much aware and plays a little, but she's in a new environment/has a tummy issue. She's leaked/had accidents all over her crate and I'm gonna have to give it a good cleaning tomorrow after we get back from the vet.
Gracie's coat is also super soft/fluffy and her gums seem pink too.

All of my cats constantly have dry noses - which I still can't really figure out why.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Let us know what you find out. And I agree that you should remain calm until you see the vet.
Sadly we were unable to get to the vet today. They close at 12 and we didn't realize, so tomorrow we'll be going.

Until then, I bought some vaseline for Gracie's butt.
Some pumpkin and ground turkey to mix in some food (as well as some powdered turkey broth we bought specifically for cats and dogs with no onion in it.)
I also bought some wipes with aloe in it so we could give her another little bath and some wee wee pads so that we can clean her pen out after her bath while she's being dried off.
We also bought specific kitten weruva food for her that she'll be eating from this point on (since we couldn't get the food she'd BEEN eating)

the woman from the shelter also sent us her records.

there were 6 in the litter and only the sister was tested, 2 left (Gracie and the sister)
so far i am assuming no one has called to report any felv cases in any of the siblings (assuming they tested them, anyway)

Gracie was on .3 mi revolution .4ml Pyrantel/panacur mix and 1/4 tri wormer - any idea if these could cause the runs she has so badly??

Last edited:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that this sounds more like giardia and coccidia.

I'm obsessively paranoid. When I looked up giardia poop, what she's doing looks a LOT like it.

Everything came, so we'll be dealing with cleaning everything and her up here in a bit + making her some safe food for her belly

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I gave her a bath and noticed what feels like a small lump in her stomach. It's visible to see but is under skin for sure.

It's not a nipple, I don't think, given the placement. I'm gonna take a photo soon.

She was spayed, so is it possible that's what that is from??

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I do think it's near the surgery line

1646869004936.png

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's probably either scar tissue or an internal stitch that hasn't fully dissolved yet. Be sure to ask the vet, but I doubt it's anything to worry about.
it DOES move, so I'm not too worried. Yeah.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
small update:

She had a log of poo after eating her dinner, which was ground turkey & pumpkin with some bone broth on it.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Update!

Back from the vets. She tested negative for felv and the vet confirmed the lump is just scarring from being spayed.

He couldn't find anything wrong with her tummy either, like parasites and stuff, so he gave us medication for her for the next few days.

Gonna keep her on pumpkin for a bit