Diarrhea..switch food or stay on old? So many problems, I am so overwhelmed.

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends, I’ve posted before, but rundown is Winston had a yeast infection, during treatment he became lethargic, runny nose,sneeze, won’t play, eats a ton, diarrhea. Went back to the vet, new bacterial ear infection, being treated with the ear ointment vet applies 2x in 14 days, Probiale Forte paste and capsules for diarrhea, lysine for sneezing and nose. We will have bloodwork done next week at the vet. Fecal was negative
Now to the poopy question, after one day on probiale his stool started to firm up; the back to soft and mushy, gets all over this leg floof. I’ve done 3 days of the paste and capsule, it isn’t helping. spoke with vet yesterday, she said to do the paste for an additional day. I’m seeing no improvement whatsoever. I’ve also been feeding 1tsp pumpkin daily, not helping. I have many packets of FortiFlora, could I use that too?

Winston has severe food allergies, and he has had situations like this once he became allergic to the food he’d been eating for a long time. I have no idea if I should attempt to transition him to a new food in the case he no longer can digest what he was eating, or stick with the one he was eating. Historically the vet would give me FortiFlora, I’d eliminate the food, and he’d be regular in a couple days. Now however, I don’t possess multiple brands of food he eats in rotation, so I’d have to go get new and rotate it in.

so, thoughts on keep on old food, transition to new, add in FortiFlora, get a different anti diarrheal med from the vet? Any help would be much appreciated, I live alone and have been totally isolated for 6 weeks due to shelter order and I am so depressed and sad already, Winston sick is really doing me in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS so sorry the post was so long. I’m sure you’re all sick of me by now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"m sorry you haven't gotten any response by now. did you by chance discuss this with your Vet to see their take on it? I hate to say what is best because I really don't know. All I can say is that Forti Flora has helped my boy in the past when he was on antibiotics AND probiotics (regular probiotics, NOT Fortiflora) That being said, since Winston is already taking the paste and capsule for diarrhea and they aren't helping, I'm betting it's another food issue.

Honestly, I don't see how adding in FortiFlora could hurt. You could always give it a shot and if things get worse, then stop it. And at the same time, ask for a different anti-diarrheal for him. IF he can switch up foods easily then I'd try that as well, possible a single protein if possible. Has he been diagnosed with IBD, or food allergies,or what?

Hang in there, i know this isolation is driving people nuts, but it will end someday. In the meantime, reach out to your friends and family just to catch up. You may not be able to sit in a room together, but you can still talk on the phone and if you can, Facetime or Zoom so you can see each other..