Diarrhea Sos

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

We adopted Mia on 12/5. She is 8 months old. Her stools were normal for the first 2 weeks or so, but have degenerated gradually into full-on severe diarrhea, which has been really bad in the past week. On 12/22 (Sat) we visited the vet for a stool sample and the results came back today - NO PARASITES.

We have been feeding Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea Formula --wet and dry food. Our 4 year old cat has done well on this diet.

[She does have ringworm on her dew claw, which was diagnosed by her rescue and we are treating w topical antifungal. Not related to her GI issues]

At the vet she was given an injectable antibiotic to treat what we thought was an injured dewclaw (actually ringworm) Metronidazole 1/4 tablet for 5 days, and a dewormer (topical) because they thought she "might" have parasites.

Yesterday our rescue provided us with probiotics and slippery elm, which I have been mixing into her food 2x a day (morning/afternoon) to help w/ the diarrhea. So far no improvement. Today our vet recommended switching to a bland GI specialty food. We are going to the pet store today and wanted some recommendations of easily accessible food to switch her to, or any other ideas you might have about how to treat her.

Are the probiotics and slippery elm good in your experience w/ treating diarrhea in cats?

We are hoping for improvement soon since there's a whole lot of wiping and poopy paws going on in this house :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I can't tell, ---have you/can you contain her, with puppy pee pads on the floor?
Do you have no-chemical wipes like Pampers aqua or Earthbath?
I don't know about gi specific foods but possibly try fancy feast?
Also if your kitty is dehydrated, try these recipes;
Kitten-Rescue.com

Slippery elm can be good, @catsknowme is an expert for that :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I can't tell, ---have you/can you contain her, with puppy pee pads on the floor?
Do you have no-chemical wipes like Pampers aqua or Earthbath?
I don't know about gi specific foods but possibly try fancy feast?
Also if your kitty is dehydrated, try these recipes;
Kitten-Rescue.com

Slippery elm can be good, @catsknowme is an expert for that :)
Hi Furballsmom :) we haven't been able to contain her, if we had a baby gate we could keep her in the kitchen but our kitchen is sooo small it seems cruel to do so. We're basically waiting for her outside the box with wet paper towels and cleaning up each time.

Fancy feast for diarrhea? Interesting. I do have one can from when we were trying to get Princess (:angelcat:) to eat.

We are def on a mission to find some good wipes for her as well. Mostly using our own cottonelle wipes or dampened paper towels and it isn't quite cutting the mustard.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about fancy feast helping regarding firming up stools but it for sure would help keeping your kitty hydrated as most cats will eat it. Purina may have something on the shelf more specifically related for gi issues....

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember you're about 10 times your cat's size. A room that is small to you, is pretty big to her. Of all the rooms in the house to be 'stuck' in the kitchen is the room of choice for most animals. If you do contain her there, be sure to let her visit your bathroom for a change of view, while you cook.

I adore/adored all my cats, we didn't have counter rules, but when the cooking got serious they were shut out of the kitchen. I just don't get why people want open accident-waiting-to-happen concept kitchens.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S. boulardii can help with diarrhea. It's a probiotic. There's info on page 9 here Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

Natural Balance Green pea and duck is kind of bland. Here are some other LID type foods:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
Single Novel Protein Grain Free Wet (not Raw) Food? Help!
Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food
Recs For Low-carb, Grain-free Pork Without Chicken Or Fish?
Canned - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods
NutriSource Pet Foods

Rawz is probably the "blandest" you can buy. There's no fillers or junk in it. The brand is pricey, though, and may be hard to find at independent pet stores.

Maybe try avoiding all poultry based food just in case your cat has an intolerance to those. What was she eating before you adopted her?