Diarrhea question - tried probiotics, pumpkin, time for chicken/rice?

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning, all.

My 13-year old female indoor only cat has had soft-service ice cream diarrhea for almost 4 weeks now. I ran a fecal sample to the vet yesterday which came back negative. They said the only thing they can do now is take a look at her, but I wanted to check on additional home treatments first.

I've tried pumpkin, Fortiflora for the first 2 weeks, and Proviable DC for the past week. I've tried Hill's I/D, but she hates it and doesn't end up eating much of it. I feed primarily Fancy Feast Pate but also offer 4Health dry at bedtime.

She is making it to the litter box and having small bouts of diarrhea a few times a day. Seems normal otherwise.

I do not want to drag her to the vet yet as it seems diarrhea is somewhat hard to diagnose and there's probably not much a vet can do at this point. Perhaps I should try the chicken and rice combo I've read about? Can anyone tell me the best way to make this?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thank you.
Sarah & Lucky

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might take probiotics to really work. Instead of pet probiotics, you can use a Human one. The Human ones are available in higher CFU counts and more bacteria strains. I give my cats Renew Life Ultimate Flora 50 billion CFU, one capsule split between each cat.

You may also want to try S. boulardii, a yeast that is supposed to help with diarrhea. There is info here on how to use it and recommended brands: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

Did the vet rule out IBD and other gastrointestinal issues as a possible cause of the diarrhea? A second opinion is a good idea if your current vet has no idea what is wrong.

I think just plain poached skinless chicken and plain cooked rice would be suitable for a cat's tummy. Probably not the boil in bag or other type of rice as those sometimes contains other stuff. Cook from plain raw rice if you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might take probiotics to really work. Instead of pet probiotics, you can use a Human one. The Human ones are available in higher CFU counts and more bacteria strains. I give my cats Renew Life Ultimate Flora 50 billion CFU, one capsule split between each cat.

You may also want to try S. boulardii, a yeast that is supposed to help with diarrhea. There is info here on how to use it and recommended brands: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

Did the vet rule out IBD and other gastrointestinal issues as a possible cause of the diarrhea? A second opinion is a good idea if your current vet has no idea what is wrong.

I think just plain poached skinless chicken and plain cooked rice would be suitable for a cat's tummy. Probably not the boil in bag or other type of rice as those sometimes contains other stuff. Cook from plain raw rice if you can.
Thank you. The vet hasn't seen her yet, as I wanted to try a few more things at home before I drag her in. She's acting normal and does not appear to be in distress of any type, so they haven't seen her to rule out IBD. Will take her in next week if this is still going on.

Thanks.
Sarah

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Jarrows product contains MOS which is bitter tasting to most cats. The MOS is supposed to make the S. Boulardii work better. There are S. boulardii products that do not contain it.

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Jarrows product contains MOS which is bitter tasting to most cats. The MOS is supposed to make the S. Boulardii work better. There are S. boulardii products that do not contain it.
Thank you!!