Diarrhea On Royal Canin So

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As those of you that have followed my posts know, I switched both of my cats over to Royal Canin SO after my younger cat had a blockage. I am wondering about food intolerances or if I might have switched the food to fast on them (I switched it right away). The stuff I am getting out of the litter box is sometimes pretty normal, sometimes mushy, and once in a while mushy, stinky and leaves some brown stuff on the scooper. I did notice the little cat had stinky poops when I first brought him home (he was on Science Diet). So, there my a be a genuine food intolerance there somewhere. I mentioned it to the Vet Tech when the cats had their checkup, and she said to let them know if it continued.

My question is this, how long would you give them to adjust to the new diet? I want it to work (because I'm not sure that I can do other options like canned food successfully), but I don't want to ignore a problem if there is one. Especially, if one or both cats isn't absorbing the food like they should.

pupaaapu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say do it gradually over a week...
I have a 4month kitten too, and when I changed her diet too soon, she has diarrhea too.
If the diarrhea continues, try withhold the water and food for 24 hrs and then give them a little plain food(I.e: pumpkin and chicken breast) to start with and then slowly slip the new food in. If the symptom continues, bring a poop sample to ur vet to have them test it out to rule out other underlying problems.
Hope it helps! Xo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will try talking with the office that saw them tomorrow. It may be that they will indeed want a stool sample, or for me to try them on bland food.