Diarrhea On Fancy Feast?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane started getting sick Friday. Slow to eat. Watery diarrhea and vomiting. Felt better last night. Then wouldn't eat lunch. But ate tonight.
Now I just found a few piles of diarrhea in the boxes. I'm sure they probably all aren't from Zane. So far the other cats are feeling fine. There has been normal stool too. But concerned at what is making them sick. For weeks now we have only done chopped grill and beef and chicken classic. Monday I fed them blue buffalo. And Thursday I threw in beef and liver for a change. What FF was making the cats sick?

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there any other symptoms, there may be something else going on. My cats get diarrhoea eating fancy feasts, its too rich for them. Do you have any other food you could feed or maybe some boiled chicken for a day to give his tummy time to settle. A little plain pumpkin will help too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They have eaten it for years. Zane started out with vomiting and not wanting to eat. He was feeling better Saturday night. Off and on Sunday. Now this morning running around and playing. I have found multiple puddles in the litter box. I assume is from more then one cat. I'm on poop patrol trying to figure out who it is

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he get hairballs, they can cause vomiting and loss of appetite. As you said, you need to find out which cat/cats is responsible before anything else. Good luck on the poop patrol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For weeks now we have only done chopped grill and beef and chicken classic. Monday I fed them blue buffalo. And Thursday I threw in beef and liver for a change. What FF was making the cats sick?
Whatever is/are the most recent food changes are the likely culprit. I would for now remove the more recently introduced foods, and see if that make a difference. If it clears up the diarrhea, then one or more of the new changes caused the diarrhea OR the abruptness of the change from one food to the other caused it.

If this is the case, but you still want to add/change their food, you will need to start with adding just a tiny bit of the new food to their normal food, and over time increase the new and decrease the old.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you might want to do is check the labels on the Fancy Feast and see if the cans you are feeding were produced in the US or France. Even if the flavor has the same name, the ingredients are a little different on the cans from France. If you were originally feeding US-made cans, and then get a box of France-made cans, it may seem like a "new food" to your cat's digestive system even if it's the same Fancy Feast flavor.

My cats actually do better on the cans produced in France, so I've been ordering my Fancy Feast from Amazon lately, and this works great for me. But others have reported better results with the cans produced in the US. YMMV...

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just found more puke and diarrhea in like 3 boxes. I havent been able to confirm if the other cats are the ones. But I did find one firm poop mixed with soft. Alli started eating RC urinary so canned Friday. And then Thursday they had FF beef and liver once. Then it was Monday with blue buffalo once.
All the FF were manufactured in the USA. So I'm not sure what's going on. :(

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to give him some sort of electrolyte. Unflavored Pedialyte mixed with water is good.
Could he have worms? This will also cause vomiting and diarrhea.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No shouldn't have worms. He is 100% indoors

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just caught mittens in the litter box so now i know its Mittens and Zane who are sick. Mittens threw up earlier before breakfast, but it was a hairball. So was hoping thats all it was. I blended water with 2 chicken breasts for lunch.
The vet said to bring in a stool sample. Im hoping they will go in an empty box :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet say the stool sample had to be litter free? If they are going to do a full fecal PCR test, that might be the case. If so, are they covering the poop up after going? If they are not covering it up, I think you can take a couple of clean cotton swabs to collect some and seal them in a clean small plastic container (think a small butter container). Worse case scenario, you can try to collect it with swabs rectally, right after they go.

If you are inclined to do any of this, just confirm with the vet that it is OK and how you should handle it. Most fecal samples can be placed in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours (maybe more??) and still be viable for testing.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say the stool sample had to be litter free? If they are going to do a full fecal PCR test, that might be the case. If so, are they covering the poop up after going? If they are not covering it up, I think you can take a couple of clean cotton swabs to collect some and seal them in a clean small plastic container (think a small butter container). Worse case scenario, you can try to collect it with swabs rectally, right after they go.

If you are inclined to do any of this, just confirm with the vet that it is OK and how you should handle it. Most fecal samples can be placed in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours (maybe more??) and still be viable for testing.
yes some times its cover up. Not always. but its been so watery its just soaked into the litter. I think I will have to dump all the boxes and leave them empty to collect something. Hoping they will go in them

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend said maybe distemper. Im scared now as they are not up to date on vaccinations :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless your friend is a vet and has thoroughly examined/tested them, then it is a guess. Don't go down that path just yet. Get the stool samples and get them tested. Also, read up on distemper just to see if you think your friend is on to something. There are so many other things that could be causing what you are seeing. Not saying your friend is right, but not going to say they aren't wrong.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well at least one cat has firm stool. Hoping he makes it threw the night. He was so energetic this morning. just dont get it :(