Diarrhea In Rescue Kittens

sallyfry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering four abandoned kittens, who have developed a yellow diarrhea with occasional spots of blood. They've been to the vet and have been wormed with Strongid and Albon, and had a fecal test done, which showed nothing out of the ordinary. I'm experimenting with introducing solids (they are 3-4 weeks old) and still bottle feeding KMR diluted 2:1 with Pedialyte. I'm also introducing baby meat thinned with formula.
I have a couple of questions. Their little hind legs are irritated from the diarrhea; I'm doing warm water "butt baths", but apparently the skin is irritated. Is there anything I can use to soothe this? I've tried vaseline and Bag Balm (the go-to country remedy for everything!), but neither seems to help. Has anyone used slippery elm syrup with kittens? And has anyone used baby rice cereal to thicken the formula for dish feeding? I'm also introducing baby meat thinned with formula. They are all active, eating, but still suffering the diarrhea. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest another vet visit. I am guessing they had, or have giardia, and that is why they were given albon? Sometimes Giardia will not show on tests, so they may need further treatments even with a clean test. My kitten needed several rounds to deal with the giardia, and also needed treated for coccidia.

best of luck to them, bless their hearts! do keep us updated on how they do.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly what duckpond^ said.
Fecal tests miss plenty. Even our vets admitted that. Giardia could require more than one round.
Poor things, just 3-4 weeks old. Soothing their bottoms will happen when the diarrhea eases. I wonder if they lick their own bottoms at this age? (I thought their mothers usually do it) and if Vaseline is okay to ingest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor babies! Use coconut oil on their burned skin. Clean with warm water first, then apply generously several times daily.

It sounds like coccidia. They need another round of Albon. If your vet has ponazuril, that will also cure them.

I weaned my kittens on Gerber turkey baby food, and I also put Gerber rice cereal in their kitten formula.

Do stay on top of the diarrhea and keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sallyfry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor babies! Use coconut oil on their burned skin. Clean with warm water first, then apply generously several times daily.

It sounds like coccidia. They need another round of Albon. If your vet has ponazuril, that will also cure them.

I weaned my kittens on Gerber turkey baby food, and I also put Gerber rice cereal in their kitten formula.

Do stay on top of the diarrhea and keep us posted.
Thanks. All your suggestions have been VERY helpful!