Diarrhea in only one of my 5 cats

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be taking him to vet today or tommorow. Husband was out of work for three months and we were almost foreclosed. Money is an issue right now, so posting in hopes of advice that could help save a bit of money in regards to what to allow the vet to do or prescribe etc.

I have 5 indoor cats. Two are less than 4yrs. Three (including Gizmo who is sick) I've had since high school around 2002 or so, making them 15+ yr old cats. All 5 are indoor only, on the exact same diet which has never been changed (unless manufacturer changed something recently). Only Gizmo has diarrhea. The others have solid feces and there are no visible parasites and all are flea-free. Gizmo has had random diarrhea for months, but at the time no weight loss, but there has been over the last couple weeks. He was bad about chewing and eating potted plants (others did too though), so for the last few months I've had them all quarantined in my bedroom, master bath and office (it's a big open area) away from plants and anything else. Other than cat food, a mouse or the moldy smelling shower water (I've had husband start keeping doors closed, he was seen drinking it) is the only other potential ingested sources. Gizmo acts fine, is still affectionate and is drinking ans eating regularly. He did lose a front 'vampire' tooth a few months ago, but there was no infection visible and the gum closed over the hole. His diarrhea is yellow, pudding like and foul smelling. It comes out like a fountain. He stupidly bathes (reinfection?) or scoots after. Very rarely will vomit after defecation and it is just food and water, nothing else visible. They all eat Iams Original Chicken and have always been on Iams. They are never fed wet food, but occasionally tuna juice from can of name brand tuna in water, but not since the quarantine. He'd started having diarrhea on the carpet in the same spot, so I moved another litterbox to that spot and he's using it fine sofar.

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's eating mice, that could definitely be a source of parasites. I think you're likely going to have to get medication from the vet to treat whatever it is. The scooting could be due to the parasite, or it could also be that his anal sacs are impacted if he hasn't had a solid bowel movement for a while. Anal sacs get expressed naturally when cats pass normal stool, but watery diarrhea wouldn't create the pressure needed to do that. Your vet can express them manually, so ask them to check for that as well as a stool sample.

If it is a parasite, your other cats could have it too, but their immune systems are better at dealing with it than Gizmo's. It's possible you may need to treat everyone to keep Gizmo from being reinfected. I hope the vet visit goes well.