Diarrhea In Kittens

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens had diarrhea since last night not constant they are on erythomicin and clavamox and we have them on fancy feast kitten and kitten chow do you think it is a change of food or medicine. Calling vet later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 months

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that you are calling the vet! Please keep them hydrated by giving them unflavored Pedialyte (electrolyte replacer) diluted 50/50 with bottled, filtered or good well water. Dehydration sets in quickly at that age & can have a domino effect on their health. If you don't have unflavored Pedialyte on hand, you can use the recipe at www.kitten-rescue .com.
As far as causes, there are many. Are you diluting their food with a kitten milk replacer? In my experience, goat milk based formulas are better tolerated than whey based. Fresh, raw goat milk is great used as is; I also use canned or powdered goat milk in a 'glop', using the formula at kitten-rescue. com (that is our TCS member Hissy's website). Changing foods to suddenly is often a culprit as are the antibiotics.
You can try adding a bit of canned pumpkin and see if that improves things. Normally, the thing to do is to give the guts a rest by feeding boiled chicken or ground beef broth for a day then slowly adding the meat with boiled white rice. Because kittens have such a high caloric and nutritional demand, you would have to feed much more often.
When asking your vet, you can inquire about using red raspberry leaf tea or slippery elm decoction. I have also used PetLactin, which is like the old-fashioned kaopectate with kaolin and pectin.
Please let us know what your vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have worms they gave me albon liquid to give them for 10 days