Diarrhea in 2.5 week old orphan.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an orphaned 2.5 week old kitten that I have been fostering for almost a week. He has been doing great up till yesterday his stools became softer and softer as the day went on.. until he had explosive diarrhea and he has had that on and off since then. Sometimes it's just runny but sometimes it's like water. He doesn't seem to be too fond of eating at the moment either, and I've been forcing some formula in him every 3-4 hours if he doesn't take it on his own.

I have given him some probiotics with his formula as recommended to me by a friend that breeds dogs. She said by the color of it, that it sounds like he over ate or ate too fast? But I don't know why he'd still be having these problems.. it's been about 30 hours or so. I've notified the rescue but they didn't have any ideas, just to get him into the vet on monday.

But I'm starting to become worried. He's sleeping more, not really wanting to eat, and his poor bum is getting so sore from this rocket diarrhea. He's not dehydrated yet. I have also given him a bit of karo syrup.

Is there anything else I can do for him to make him more comfortable until he sees the vet tomorrow??

EDIT; Forgot to mention the stool is green in color.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that prior to his diarrhea he has not had any change in food. He's been on formula since I got him. Up till today that is, I have just been trying to get anything into him. He has nibbled on some canned food and some boiled chicken. He will eat the chicken if I break it up into tiny pieces and put it in his mouth, And I guess he's almost 3 weeks not 2.5 weeks old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This sounds serious.  A parasite infection??

How is it going?  Were you to the vet?

Stoppers...  When I was a kid our doctor recommended a well cooked rice / such a rice water...

Such a rice water, with some added salt, is btw in itself a type of home made basic pedialyte, useful in diarrhea plagued areas - for example where they have cholera.

Also, he looses electrolytes with such violent diarrheas...  So electrolytes, ie salts he needs too.  = dont use common water, use such a pedialyte.

3g (one teaspoon) salt per litre home made pedialyte... The so called mineale salt  with Na,K,Mg, Ca,Cl is best, but common NaCl kitchen salt works OK too.

You can also add a trifle baking soda (natriumbicarbonate) if you have.

Another basic pedialyte is based on glucose or equivalent, 15g, and salt 3g + baking soda / litre.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured it out. It was the formula. I don't know why it took  so long for him to react to it when he was on the formula for 5 days or more before he got the diarrhea. But he's eating canned a/d food right now from a syringe and within 2 feedings his diarrhea was completely gone.. he seems fine now. He screams for the a/d food and eats quite a bit. There's a half can left and I only started feeding him it at midnight last night.