Diarrhea During Pregnancy

blob!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, who has always been in pristine health, suddenly started having diarrhea a couple of weeks after she got pregnant. Most of the time it was loose stools but a lot of the time it was full on diarrhea. This kept going on the whole time she was pregnant and nursing (~4 months). Then, when the kittens went to their new owners and she fully stopped producing milk, her stools completely returned to normal!

I originally thought it was because of the pregnancy/nursing, but I had gone to the vet multiple times just to make sure. I told them and they acted like it was an impossible reason, so they did a bunch of tests, total costs for me were nearly $1000. In the end, they were very useless and they didn't find anything; the vets had no idea how to explain what happened.

So can anyone tell me has this happened to your cat? This was her first pregnancy. There were no other symptoms apart from bloating/gas. She is a purebred cat and I am a registered breeder, and I am planning on breeding her again eventually, but I don't want her to go through that again.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, i have never heard that cats have this kind of problem when pregnant, or nursing. Maybe she has some kind of issue, and the pregnancy hormones, or stress brings it out? I would be a little afraid of breeding her as well? Maybe someone else will have better ideas. Hope she is doing well now?

Cattz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, who has always been in pristine health, suddenly started having diarrhea a couple of weeks after she got pregnant. Most of the time it was loose stools but a lot of the time it was full on diarrhea. This kept going on the whole time she was pregnant and nursing (~4 months). Then, when the kittens went to their new owners and she fully stopped producing milk, her stools completely returned to normal!

I originally thought it was because of the pregnancy/nursing, but I had gone to the vet multiple times just to make sure. I told them and they acted like it was an impossible reason, so they did a bunch of tests, total costs for me were nearly $1000. In the end, they were very useless and they didn't find anything; the vets had no idea how to explain what happened.

So can anyone tell me has this happened to your cat? This was her first pregnancy. There were no other symptoms apart from bloating/gas. She is a purebred cat and I am a registered breeder, and I am planning on breeding her again eventually, but I don't want her to go through that again.
I dont know, i have never heard that cats have this kind of problem when pregnant, or nursing. Maybe she has some kind of issue, and the pregnancy hormones, or stress brings it out? I would be a little afraid of breeding her as well? Maybe someone else will have better ideas. Hope she is doing well now?

Cattz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I am a new breeder and my first time mom cat has very runny diarrhea. I am wondering if it is due to the pregnancy. She’s is due on the 25th of this month. It just seemed to start a few days ago. She also is drinking more water than usual. Was this the case for your cat as well?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
I am a new breeder and my first time mom cat has very runny diarrhea. I am wondering if it is due to the pregnancy. She’s is due on the 25th of this month. It just seemed to start a few days ago. She also is drinking more water than usual. Was this the case for your cat as well?
Your cat should not have diarrhea this far from delivery. Please get her to a vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi
Yes vet errand. Also supplement her salts and electrolytes.
Easiest with flavorless pedialyte for babies

Or mix overcooked water from white rice with minerale salts (may be from bottled minerale water)