Diarrhea And Inappropriate Elimination From Canned Food?

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I'm new but I absolutely LOVE this site and wish I had found it sooner!
So we adopted two kittens recently (Someone dumped them in our backyard and we decided to keep them.) And they did great with using a litter box from day one of bringing them in. At the time we found them, the vet told us they were about 8-9 weeks and that they were healthy kittens, and it'd be safe to introduce them to our other cats.
We've had them on strictly dry food along with our other cats, but I've been doing a lot of research on urinary problems and dry food, so I decided to start setting out canned food alongside the dry and letting them eat what they want of each.
(Of course, they all want the canned.)
Yesterday and today I found Diarrhea on our carpet upstairs, and a little puddle of pee on my daughters bed! I'm sure it is one of the kittens as the spots are too small to be my adult cats.

I admit I didn't introduce the wet food slowly like I should have, I emptied 4-5 cans and simply let them scarf it down two days in a row. I'm fairly certain that this is what's causing the potty problems, but wanted some input from others. I've taken away the wet food once again until I find a better way to slowly introduce it into their diets, and I'm going to see if that solves the problem. Anyone have a similar experience introducing their kitties to canned food? Any suggestions on how I can introduce the food slowly to avoid this happening again? Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like too much wet food way too fast. You could try offering them a tiny little bit of pure canned pumpkin for some extra fiber, or call your vet and ask for metronidazole or something for the diarrhea.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi. Welcome to the site, glad you joined us. Sounds like the diarrhoea is caused by too much wet food too quickly. Just give a little wet food each time you feed and increase the quantity daily over a period of a week. If you have psyllium, sprinkle a pinch over the food twice a day. As jen jen said, pumpkin will work too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. =)
I'm glad to say I haven't found any presents since I took out the wet food again, and I'll be giving them a break from it for a little while before SLOWLY introducing it again next time. I have read about giving them canned pumpkin and will be trying it as well.

Unfortunately, today as I was getting out of the shower I found a small spot of bright red blood tinged with either mucus or poop on the floor...I frantically went around checking each of my kitties and their litter boxes to figure out where it came from, but haven't found any other spots like this around the house or on my cats. All of them are acting normal, eating and drinking and being their usual happy selves.

Any advice?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, today as I was getting out of the shower I found a small spot of bright red blood tinged with either mucus or poop on the floor...I frantically went around checking each of my kitties and their litter boxes to figure out where it came from, but haven't found any other spots like this around the house or on my cats. All of them are acting normal, eating and drinking and being their usual happy selves.

Any advice?
Did you take a picture/video of it? If you did, you can send it to their vet and ask their opinion.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know with dogs that mucus isn't unusual when they have diarrhoea nor is a spot of blood, not sure about cats.
I have been reading up on it and it sounds like it's common with cats who have diarrhea too. Haven't seen anything since and all are still acting fine.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they been checked for parasites, especially giardia? I would do that if I were you.
All have received worming treatment but I have never heard of giardia. Is it common in overweight indoor cats?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All have received worming treatment but I have never heard of giardia. Is it common in overweight indoor cats?
I don't think it is, but it happens a lot with kittens. And it's contagious, so even an adult cat with not so strong immune system can get it. Talk to your vet about it. The usual symptom is yellowish diarrhea with mucus and blood, and it's really, really smelly.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I will bring it up with them. The diarrhea has only occurred since we started giving them the canned food and their stool is back to normal since we took it away, so it doesn't seem likely but I'll feel better once I discuss everything with the vet. Thanks for your help!

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ANOTHER UPDATE-
I found two more piles of Diarrhea. One yesterday and one today so I'm guessing it might not have been from the canned food after all... =(

Still unsure of which cat (or maybe even multiple cats) is having the problem. Tried calling the vet but it's their lunch hour so I'm going to call back in a little while. All are still acting normal...no one is showing symptoms, and I have seven altogether so it's been difficult to figure out which one is doing it! I still suspect it's one of the kittens, so I'll be putting them in another room with their food and litter box and closing them up for a day or two until I rule out my 5 adult cats. It makes me sad to have to do it, because they get separation anxiety very easily. (I assume because they were abandoned when we found them and now have emotional issues because of it) Whoever is doing it is being VERY sneaky as I still haven't caught them in the act! I get so anxious any time my cats are having health issues. I worry about them constantly. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to them. I love them SO much. ='(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We all get anxious when our cats are not well, they cant tell us how they feel and our imagination runs away with us.
You are doing the right thing by seperating them, its important to find out which cat it is and then find the cause and treat it. Hopefully you will know soon. Please keep us updated.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Figured out which cat it was...caught her in the act twice. It was the new kitten (calico in my display pic) as I suspected. Spoke with the vet, they think it probably had to do with the change in her diet but can't be sure without an exam. She's being kept away from all the other cats for now. I feel terrible about it. :( going to keep her in quarantine for the weekend and if she's still having diarrhea or symptoms get worse I'll be taking her in on Monday. She isn't acting sick at all, still. Maybe a bit lethargic but I imagine the diarrhea is taking a lot out of her. I hope and pray nothing too serious is going on. My nerves are so bad right now. I keep thinking of FIP and how horrible I would feel if I took her in and exposed my other cats to a potentially life threatening illness. I need to stay away from Google until I take her in.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! Just wanted to provide another update on Athena. We took her into the vet today and she prescribed us endosorb suspension for the diarrhea, and albon tablets for possible coccidia. They also checked her ears and found 3 earmites, however they were already dead. We had been using olive oil, a few drops at a time in their ears since I noticed them shaking their heads here and there. I honestly was just using it as a quick fix for the time until we could afford to treat them all at once, but the vet told us to keep doing what we're doing because it's working...so that's good news. Next week we'll be taking out cat snickles in to get his allergy shot. He gets some sort of seasonal allergy and starts pulling out his fur in huge patches until he's practically bald. *eye roll*

It's always something with seven cats!