Diarrhea After Boarding

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to board Victor for 2 days. The place was very clean and reputable. He had a good report and seemed ok while there. He was very stressed by the car ride but once home seemed fine. He got home Saturday afternoon seemed ok Sunday but Monday he stated having liquid stools all day and again this morning. He is eating and playing. Could he have caught something at Catopia (the boarding place)? I am going to call for a vet appt but wondered if anyone else had this experience

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they let you know if he ate while he was there? Did you provide the food he's used to, or did they feed him what they stock? Hope he feels better soon. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they let you know if he ate while he was there? Did you provide the food he's used to, or did they feed him what they stock? Hope he feels better soon. 🙂
We provided his food and liter. I am thinking it’s stress related and wonder if a trip to the vet will make it worse? He is playful and eating/drinking as usual. He seems fine other than watery stools. I am thinking of waiting 1 more day before being him in

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe call the vet and tell them the whole story and see what they say. ❤

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just called and they agreed waiting another day is ok since he has no other symptoms. She made him an appt for tomorrow that I can cancel in the am if he is better. They are ok with giving him a little plain canned pumpkin which I’ve read helps some cats so I am going to try that and see how he does today

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just called and they agreed waiting another day is ok since he has no other symptoms. She made him an appt for tomorrow that I can cancel in the am if he is better. They are ok with giving him a little plain canned pumpkin which I’ve read helps some cats so I am going to try that and see how he does today
J Jaxson’s momma how has he been today?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple years ago, we went on vacation for about a week for the first time since we got our cats, and had my mom pet sit. By the time we got home, they were having loose stools. They were on the same food as always and they’ve never had this problem before. It resolved on its own shortly after we returned. We concluded that it was the stress of us being gone and their usual routine interrupted. Cats are very sensitive to any changes in their environment.

Possibly this is what happened to your cat. The facility may have been very clean and the care was quality, he just might have become stressed due to the changes in his regular routine and environment.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably stress. Did they feed him a different food? That can cause it, too.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
J Jaxson’s momma how has he been today?
He had a lot if bacteria in his poop so the vet gave him a shot and put him on Albon and he is 100% better. Now the problem is he is pooping in the bathtub! He has never done this before and thank God he is peeing in his box as usual so I am certain the problem is associating his box with the painful diarrhea. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know if this will fix anything, but if you put the litterbox in the bathtub you might see if he uses it or not. It might give you an idea of what is running through his head.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if this will fix anything, but if you put the litterbox in the bathtub you might see if he uses it or not. It might give you an idea of what is running through his head.
I would try it, I've done similar and it usually does the trick.
Another thing you could try if the litter box trick doesn't work is to plug the drain and keep an inch or so of water in it.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I did order Dr Presley’s cat attractant liter from Chewy. It got the best reviews and it’s scent free.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I put a box in the tub with cat attract mixed in the liter and Victor used it so after a few days (it’s the guest bath we never use) I transitioned the box outside the tub and he’s been using it fine no accidents. The vet put him on Composure Pro chews since he thinks he has stress induced IBS. So far so good but we are moving in March so we shall see….