Diamondback Rattler In The House

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First off, there wasn't time to take pictures, so if you want to reply NPDH, so be it. DW found one of our cats (Casper) playing with a small snake on the floor. She went into hysterics, and yelled out for me. I was on the throne at the time, so she got one of the translucent plastic bowls from the kitchen and dropped it over the snake.

It was in a tight coil just striking out. Couldn't tell how long it was, but it was a young one. When I got there told her to get a manilla folder. I slipped it under the bowl and scooped the snake inside so I could pick it up. I thought it was a black racer, which we have in abundance outside.

I carried it outside to let it go. When in the sunlight, I could see the pattern on its back, and brought it back into the house. She kept yelling to flush the thing down the toilet. So, I did, and saw that it was about a foot long, maybe 16". I flushed a few times.

I then ran about 5 gallons of water down the toilet. We are on sewer, and she was worried that it may find its way back up. Since, she has checked the toilet before using. It was almost as exciting as when we got a loose bird in the house and the dogs and cats went wild.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, too much excitement!

My brother (Catspaw66) lives in our house in Arkansas, which is up in the woods.  I'm surprised we've never seen rattlers or copperheads in the house, but I've never even seen them outside.  I've seen some big blacksnakes, and they kill the poisonous ones, I believe.

You obviously used great skill, knowledge, and care in dealing with this one.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My brother (Catspaw66) lives in our house in Arkansas, which is up in the woods.  I'm surprised we've never seen rattlers or copperheads in the house, but I've never even seen them outside.  I've seen some big blacksnakes, and they kill the poisonous ones, I believe.

I have seen copperheads several times.  The biggest was about 15"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I don't know about the skill, knowledge, and care part. Once I flushed, I had second thoughts. It's like sending an email. Once you hit "send" you can't "unsend it"

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You caught it and took it outside to release it, and then you brought it back inside and flushed it down the toilet?!!

Why on earth would you kill something that didn't do anything any harm. Especially by subjecting it to drowning? Why didn't you just take it to the woods and let it go?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because he didn't want a baby rattlesnake growing up to be a big rattlesnake near has home. I would've taken it outside, and hit it with some bird shot. Remington 870 to the rescue!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not release a poisonous snake near my home or any residential area.  I wouldn't want to try to take it somewhere away from homes to release it either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You caught it and took it outside to release it, and then you brought it back inside and flushed it down the toilet?!!

Why on earth would you kill something that didn't do anything any harm. Especially by subjecting it to drowning? Why didn't you just take it to the woods and let it go?
We live in a residential neighborhood where children and pets can frolic in their yards. I took the snake outside to release it and then I realized it was a DEADLY snake.

>>>"Why on earth would you kill something that didn't do anything any harm?" <<<  I have to ask you... have you ever stepped on an ant, or swatted a fly or mosquito, did away with a spider, or roach?