Diagnosed With Large Cell Lymphoma Cancer

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My 9 year old baby boy, Leroy, was just diagnosed with large cell lymphoma. On Thursday evening 4/19, he appeared a little lethargic and quiet. I figured he had a cold and decided to monitor him for a couple of days, expecting him to make a quick recovery. By Saturday, he had not improved and actually appeared worse. His mouth was hanging open with drool pooling around his mouth. I made an appointment with the vet for Monday, but that night, he started drinking a profuse amount of water, so in alarm, I brought him into the ER Sunday morning.

The boyfriend and I ended up spending the whole day there as the doctors gave him a full battery of tests - blood work, ultrasound, x-ray. They found a mass in his small intestines that they suspected was cancer, and booked him for an excisional biopsy for Monday 4/23. During surgery, they learned that the tumor was localized and did an intestinal resection. They kept him hospitalized for a couple more days to monitor his slack jaw, which still hung open after the surgery, making it difficult for him to eat.

On Thursday 4/26, Leroy was seen by a neurologist, who said he either has Trigeminal Neuralgia (a neurological condition more common in dogs that goes away in a few weeks) or it was paralysis caused by lymphoma, in which case it could be permanent. We had to wait for the biopsy results to get a better idea of what we were dealing with. I left work early that day and took him home. He started purring immediately and ran to his food bowl, but couldn't pick up his food, so I used my fingers and a popsicle stick to feed him. I've been spoon feeding him several times a day since.

Yesterday, the surgeon called with the diagnosis. It was large cell lymphoma. I was at work, so I grabbed my purse, hopped in my car, and cried the whole drive home. Today, I took the day off to meet with the oncologist, who told me intestinal lymphoma was the most common cancer in cats, but that Leroy's case was unusual in that the lymph nodes were affecting the function of his jaw and possibly his left eye. We decided that steroids (prednisone) and chemo (CHOP) were the way to go, and started his first dose today. The oncologist also told me the prognosis for cats on chemo is an average of 6 months. Some survive longer, some less. It depends on how well the cat responds to the chemo.

The last couple of weeks have been a real rollercoaster and coming to this site and reading about other people's experiences with cancer has been such a comfort. So thank you. And sorry you all had to go through that. I will post updates and hope that I, too, can help others who have to deal with cancer in the future. Any comments, advice, and experiences welcome :)

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for Leroy. I can well relate to what you are going through now as I have heard the cancer diagnosis three times, but not large cell lymphoma.

My cats were older when it struck, but I know that large cell lymphoma strikes younger cats more often.

I have a friend who recently lost a 12 year old cat to large cell lymphoma. It was pretty advanced when it was diagnosed, thus no surgery was able to be done. He did receive chemo which he tolerated well...and even went into remission for about 6 months or so during which time he had a pretty normal life. Eventually, the cancer did return and he succumbed, but it was well over a year after diagnosis.

Cats do tolerate chemo pretty well. Sometimes they do get side effects, but I have found that it is manageable with medications and lots of TLC. Each cat responds differently, but I fully believe chemo is worth a try.

My advice is to take each day at a time; do not get discouraged if they have an "off" day. Next day may be better. Treat each day as a gift. Take lots of pictures. Look at this time as an opportunity to bond with Leroy even closer than you have ever bonded before. These memories will give you great comfort some day.

Many here have traveled the same path you are on now. We are here to help and support you any way we can on this journey. We know the more help YOU have, the more help you can provide your dear Leroy.

Hugs to both of you!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry to hear of your baby's diagnosis.
I am unable to help much with it, other than to say large cell is quite aggressive and relentless, chemo is handled quite well in cats, but it's unpredictable what if anything it may or may not give him.
You see my avatar pic? This is my Krissy, my soul kitty, who I lost to large cell and am still trying to heal the gaping hole in my heart that still bleeds for my girl.
I wish you and your kitty the very best. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this with Leroy. I, too, have recently lost a special kitty to Large Cell Lymphoma (the sweet grey/white kitty in my profile pic) only 6 weeks ago. My experience was swift. We caught it way too late and did not have the chance to try chemo.

Hopefully, you caught it a little bit early and will still have time left your little one. My heart goes out to you! :redheartpump: Please feel free to reach out to us and ask any questions

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My 9 year old baby boy, Leroy, was just diagnosed with large cell lymphoma. On Thursday evening 4/19, he appeared a little lethargic and quiet. I figured he had a cold and decided to monitor him for a couple of days, expecting him to make a quick recovery. By Saturday, he had not improved and actually appeared worse. His mouth was hanging open with drool pooling around his mouth. I made an appointment with the vet for Monday, but that night, he started drinking a profuse amount of water, so in alarm, I brought him into the ER Sunday morning.

The boyfriend and I ended up spending the whole day there as the doctors gave him a full battery of tests - blood work, ultrasound, x-ray. They found a mass in his small intestines that they suspected was cancer, and booked him for an excisional biopsy for Monday 4/23. During surgery, they learned that the tumor was localized and did an intestinal resection. They kept him hospitalized for a couple more days to monitor his slack jaw, which still hung open after the surgery, making it difficult for him to eat.

On Thursday 4/26, Leroy was seen by a neurologist, who said he either has Trigeminal Neuralgia (a neurological condition more common in dogs that goes away in a few weeks) or it was paralysis caused by lymphoma, in which case it could be permanent. We had to wait for the biopsy results to get a better idea of what we were dealing with. I left work early that day and took him home. He started purring immediately and ran to his food bowl, but couldn't pick up his food, so I used my fingers and a popsicle stick to feed him. I've been spoon feeding him several times a day since.

Yesterday, the surgeon called with the diagnosis. It was large cell lymphoma. I was at work, so I grabbed my purse, hopped in my car, and cried the whole drive home. Today, I took the day off to meet with the oncologist, who told me intestinal lymphoma was the most common cancer in cats, but that Leroy's case was unusual in that the lymph nodes were affecting the function of his jaw and possibly his left eye. We decided that steroids (prednisone) and chemo (CHOP) were the way to go, and started his first dose today. The oncologist also told me the prognosis for cats on chemo is an average of 6 months. Some survive longer, some less. It depends on how well the cat responds to the chemo.

The last couple of weeks have been a real rollercoaster and coming to this site and reading about other people's experiences with cancer has been such a comfort. So thank you. And sorry you all had to go through that. I will post updates and hope that I, too, can help others who have to deal with cancer in the future. Any comments, advice, and experiences welcome :)

I'm very sorry to hear this. It's a very hard thing to go through, for both you and your dear cat. I also recently lost two of my cats to cancer, my last most beloved cat I suspect had intestinal lymphoma that wound up spreading quickly through out his system. It was too late to save him by the time I finally got an accurate diagnosis. He died just two week later. His general lethargy and long term (over two years) constipation were his most glaring symptoms, other than the last month, when he spiraled and stopped eating in his own. Treasure your time together, and as someone already suggested, take lots of photos. Many of us know exactly what you are going through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone and sorry for your losses. I had other cats before Leroy (pictured in avatar), and fortunately they all died naturally of old age - 16, 18 and 21. But I have seen how quickly they decline and go. They slow down one day, seemingly out of the blue, and weeks later they are gone. Leroy was prancing around in snow 3 weeks ago. Almost overnight, he became a shell of his old self. I haven't given up on him, of course.

He got his first dose of chemo on Tuesday (L-asparaginase and Vitamin B12), which zapped his appetite, appears to make him nauseous (he's more vocal, gags when eating/drinking, pants, licks lips, hides more), and his face appears swollen. He slept all day Tuesday after he got home from chemo. He did regain the desire to go outside again this week, which he lost during the few days before the surgery. Tomorrow, I can start giving him Prednisolone (I mistakenly wrote Prednisone in the previous post), which is supposed to be anti-nausea, so crossing my fingers this brings his appetite back.

There has been no change in Leroy's slack jaw. I'm still hoping it's just Trigeminal Neuritis, which goes away after several weeks. But I know it's more likely the lymphoma affecting the trigeminal nerves and that it is permanent. The oncologist has suggested including CCNU or Cytosar that penetrate the central nervous system to his chemo protocal. I think it's worth a shot. For now, I continue to spoon or syringe feed as much as he will eat, since his appetite declined. I also leave some fancy feast broth out, so there's something he can slurp or lick unassisted at all times. I plan to order a small blender so I can make my own cat slurpies for him.

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sending you good thoughts.
I too lost my soul cat (avatar pic) to large cell lymphoma. I know too well how devastating this awful disease can be. We caught it late and there was no time for chemo. Hopefully your Leroy can pull it through and you can enjoy your precious time with him, every minute counts! Keep your spirits high.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that Leroy, and you are having to go through this! I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers, for a positive outcome! Hope you have a peaceful weekend. :heartshape:

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things have been a rollercoaster since Leroy started chemo last week. He appeared nauseous and stopped eating after his first dose, but his appetite and personality quickly rebounded after I got him a prescription of Cerenia last Friday. This was short lived however, and on Saturday, he started coughing. It got worse Sunday and he ended up hacking the whole night as he went back and forth from my bed to the bathtub, where he drank straight out of the faucet. I stayed up with him most of the night, then the boyfriend and I took him for an emergency appointment with the oncologist the next day. They took x-rays to rule out aspiration pneumonia, and couldn't find the cause of the sudden onset of hacking. So, they just prescribed Gabapentin for the pain in his mouth he seems to suffer when eating. He bleeds a little.

On Tuesday, Cerenia stopped working for him. He appeared nauseous all day and would try to eat, lick the food, but quickly pull back as he flicked his tongue and salivated. I gave him another quarter of the Cerenia pill to see if the extra dose would help, but to no avail. He ate nothing all day. Yesterday, I got Odansetron from the oncologist and gave him half a 4mg tablet. Didn't work. He slept in my bed all day. I gave it to him again this morning. Didn't work. I gave him an extra 2mg, but again, no dice. He stayed in my bed then hid in my closet.

When I took him in for his second chemo appointment this morning, the oncologist told me that the chemo drugs were out of his system by now, and the nausea and other symptoms he was suffering were from the lymphoma. This broke my heart. I had thought the chemo was causing these side effects and that they could be alleviated with medicine. She also looked him over, noticed his third eyelids showing, asked me if he has been dull, which he has, and said the cancer in his central nervous system was progressing, and that the first dose of chemo wasn't working. So today, he got CCNU, which is supposed to penetrate the CNS.

Low and behold..........after napping for hours, he got up, walked into the kitchen, and ate 3/4 of a fancy feast can! It's not a lot but much better than nothing. No more sign of nausea. He is now kneading the couch purring! He never perked up like this after his first dose. I think we found a drug that works for him. *Prays*

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really feel for you and can truly relate. To describe this venture as a "roller coaster" is putting it mildly. Can you say stress?

You watch their every move. Is it the chemo? Is it the underlying condition? You try this. You try that. You wait and see. They do surprise and even shock you!

I can tell you that each chemo infusion is different. Sometimes the first one really knocks them out...then they rebound and subsequent ones do not affect.

Sometimes the first one is a breeze. No problems.
Then the next one is problematic. It is unpredictable.

Thank goodness you found the CCNU which penetrates the CNS and provided relief! Savor this small victory. I pray this sustains Leroy a long time. For sure Leroy has the best nurse with you! Hang in there!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is eating, and having a good day! sending hugs and best wishes that it continues to get even better. :goodluck:

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a tough update as my beautiful baby boy, Leroy's, battle with brain cancer ended today. But I want other cat moms and dads whose babies are diagnosed with brain or CNS cancer to use my experience as a reference. Please order Virbac Rebound Recuperation Formula and Oral Electrolyte Solution to help with your baby's recovery. I ordered them for Leroy too late and they are still on the way.

Leroy was doing ok after his second dose of chemo (CCNU) on Thursday 5/10, but his condition plummeted the following Sunday and Monday. He hid in my boyfriend's closet and slept the whole time, only coming out to drink water. It was not a peaceful sleep. I kept checking on him and he appeared restless - super nauseous. Every time I brought him food, he would lick it a couple times then salivate and stop eating. I gave him Ondansetron and Cerenia but they didn't help.

In the wee hours of Monday night, he did something else that shocked us. My boyfriend is allergic to cats so we sleep separately. Leroy was also shy and it took time to build trust with him. He was still walking away from my bf when he tried to pet him (after 4 years lol). On Monday night however, Leroy staggered out of the closet and tried to jump into bed with him, startling the daylights out of my bf. But he failed, walked over to my bed and I helped him up.

Tuesday morning I took him to his primary vet and he got fluids for slight dehydration and a Cerenia shot. The doctor chose to give him the shot because it works better than the pill form and to see if nausea was the real reason he wasn't eating or if it was the lymphoma. We also discussed feeding tubes and the doctor mentioned euthanasia. Leroy perked up a bit after the vet visit, and I started syringe feeding him, but his appetite never returned. It was apparent the lymphoma was causing his inappetence. I began to think that he would either survive this week and rally, or this would be the end.

Wednesday and Thursday, I noticed he wasn't swallowing as much when I fed him. His jaw is paralyzed so his ability to use his tongue and swallow was what kept him afloat. I was putting Florti Flora, Life Gold, and Wysong PDG supplement for recovering pets in his food, but these no longer interested him either. I wish I had been given an appetite stimulant to help him. His brain cancer was aggressive so perhaps nothing couldn've helped him, but I think that oncologists should prescribe medications for side effects before they occur, so you're not caught off guard.

On Thursday night (yesterday), I picked up Mirtazapine from the primary vet after work and returned home to find a blind Leroy. I hit him with the front door as I walked in and was bewildered as to why he was crouching behind the door. Then he walked into the wall and I understood. I called to him, he followed my voice and walked into my ankles, then into my outstretched arms. I reassured him that mommy was here and he began to purr. He had difficulty navigating around the house but didn't give up. He actually did well going up and down the stairs! I moved one litter box into the living room, and the other had been in my bedroom since his condition began to decline on Sunday. That night, I didn't give Leroy the Mirtazapine. With the brain cancer progressing so fast, and now affecting his eyes and ability to swallow, I didn't know what good it would do. In bed, he cuddled with me as he did every night since he got sick. I cherished the moment because I had a strong feeling this might be the end.

This morning, the oncologist called me even though it was her day off. It was very kind of her. She said exactly what I knew in my heart and mind - the chemo didn't work for him. We could give him a feeding tube, but his symptoms were never going to get better. They were only going to get worse as the cancer progressed. When I took him back to the primary vet, she evaluated Leroy and came up with the same opinion. A feeding tube may help him but would also prolong his suffering, so it would really be for me, not him. There was nothing else we could do for him and the kindest thing was to end his suffering before he got seizures. Since I was such a hot mess they called Laps of Love and arranged the at home euthanasia for me.

If I could do this over again, I would not do chemo. Or at least give Leroy more time to recover after the surgery to start it. I read an oncologist's opinion that the outcome of chemo depended highly on how weak the cat was when it started. Leroy hated being hospitalized and stopped eating unless I was there visiting. So he was likely already undernourished when the chemo began right after he was discharged. Many vets say cats take chemo surprisingly well but that is a sales pitch. Chemo was very hard on Leroy and I regret making the last month of his life a living hell full of car rides, vet visits, needles, hard drugs, and sickness.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of Leroy! My heart goes out to you. He is at peace now, no suffering or worries. You on the other hand have the grieving to go through. It is always so hard to loose a loved one.

I will keep you and Leroy in my thoughts and prayers. And i think it is great that you share your experience with others. It will help others in the same situation, and maybe help you as well. I hope you have a peaceful weekend.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss! My heart goes out to you and Leroy.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am somehow in the same grey area and trying to do what I can.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your dear Leroy and my heart goes out to you with deep sympathy.

Leroy is no longer in pain. You did everything you could for him. Sometimes we do all we can for our dear kitties and it is still not enough. Although you are conflicted about doing chemo, at least you have the knowledge that you tried all you could, so that should bring you some peace. Unfortunately, Leroy may have been too compromised at the outset for the chemo to have done any good...but at least you tried.

Leroy's journey is over; he is now at peace...but your grief journey has just begun. We here who have loved and lost cats to cancer(and that includes me) understand just what you are going through and are here to surround you with comfort and support.

When you feel up to it, perhaps you could post stories, pictures of Leroy in his better days at the Bridge Forum.
Thanks for sharing your experience with all here.