Diabetic Neuropathy Help

morganlee107

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat is diabetic and has neuropathy in his back legs. We've been adding B12 vitamins to his food but I was wondering if there's anything else that will help?

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your kitty is going through this. I would check with your vet,it is my understanding that the better you can manage your kitty's diabetic numbers, the less he will suffer with neuropathy. My Tiger was diabetic for 2 years and was well regulated before cancer took her from me. I found the Feline Diabetes Membership Board to be most helpful:
Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

Also, you may find this article something else that you could discuss with your vet:
Feline Diabetic Neuropathy: Jasper's Story

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regular B12 does not work for neuropath. You need to use methyl B12 (methylcobalamin). A popular brand used by FelineDiabetes. com members is Zobaline. There are others are dicussed in this thread. Please discuss using methyl B12 with the vet first.

Methyl B12 on it's own will not help the neuropathy. Your cat needs to be on insulin and / or a low carb diet as well to help get the bood glucose levels into a more normal range. Again, this is something you need to discuss with the vet. You can also ask members of the FDMB board for their advice whch you can then discuss with the vet to come up with a treatment plan that works best for your cat.