Diabetic Needs Teeth Cleaning To Stay In Remission

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

I'm a frequent lurker of this site since April, when Herbert got sick. So glad it exists! I've learned so much.

Herbert has always been a chill cat that came back with a clean bill of health at every vet visit. He was very overweight when I adopted him, but he managed to lose a lot and stay active at my house. This year though, he started drinking lots of water. I immediately knew it was diabetes, but what I didn't know was how much money it would cost to get his diabetes under control. With help from felinediabetes.com and catinfo.org I'm happy to report he's in remission. He doesn't require insulin at all! I had 3k in saving when he was diagnosed, and now I have zero. And unfortunately there are certain things other than food that can bring a diabetic kitty out of remission, one being any tooth/gum infections and diseases.

He needs his teeth cleaned! I would have easily been able to do this if I hadn't just gone through his diabetic diagnoses, but now I need help. A share or a dollar goes a long way! But don't worry, I have credit cards that I can use, so not matter what he WILL be taken care of. I can worry about money later if it comes to that.

Anyways, feel free to pm me if you want to see a copy of the estimate from the vet or any other info. Thanks for reading this wall of text lol here's the link Click here to support Herberts Teeth Cleaning organized by Kiki Thor

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Skrinkle,

I just gave you a little something for Herbert. I sure hope you're able to get him up to snuff soon, and congrats on getting his weight down! That's awesome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Skrinkle,

I just gave you a little something for Herbert. I sure hope you're able to get him up to snuff soon, and congrats on getting his weight down! That's awesome.
Thank you so much! May I follow you on this site so I remember you, if you need any help one day?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course you can. Just don't ask me how to
Prince.jpg
do it because I have no idea!

It's funny because Herbert looks so much like this other cat I know named Prince. I work in property management and there is a resident in one of my apartment buildings who had to move back to India. Unfortunately, India would not allow him to enter the country with his cat for some vague and mysterious reason so I've been working for a week to get his cat re-homed. I was successful today! Prince will be headed to his new home on Monday.

Anyway, best of luck to you and Herbert. He's awfully lucky to have such a great human!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! Herbert had his teeth cleaned yesterday! He went in at 9:30am and came out at 3:30pm. He was so funny still from the anaesthetic, all he wanted to do was have his chin scratched and purr (he was so floppy). It ended up costing about $700 which I’m grateful for, it could have been a lot worse. He didn’t have to have any teeth removed! Now I can relax and not worry about his diabetes coming out of remission, or about him losing any teeth! All he wants to do today is eat and sleep, but other than that he has no side effects left from yesterday. They gave us a goodie bag just like at the human dentist, a toothbrush and toothpaste was included. I can start brushing his teeth in 7 days (should be a total disaster :lol:) and I bought him some chunks of freeze dried chicken to help scrape off his teeth after meals (he only eats wet food because of the carbs). If anyone has any other good ideas for daily teeth cleaning I’m all ears! I was thinking about chew toys, but I’m not sure if he’d be interested. He doesn’t even chew his food :dizzy:

I bought him a stroller for this adventure, because he’s just too heavy for me to carry all the way to the vet and back all the time. This is him on the way home, still groggy.

Thanks for reading this wall of text :blush:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought him some chunks of freeze dried chicken to help scrape off his teeth after meals (he only eats wet food because of the carbs). If anyone has any other good ideas for daily teeth cleaning I’m all ears! I was thinking about chew toys, but I’m not sure if he’d be interested. He doesn’t even chew his food :dizzy:

Freeze dried treats won't do much to clean teeth. Most freeze dried treats just get soft as as soon as they get wet. Brushing the teeth will help, just like it does for your own teeth. Use only pet toothpaste. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular and fine to use for a diabetic cat. I used it for my diabetic cat with no effect on blood glucose levels. You can try raw gizzards and bones but some cats won't touch those.

FYI, if you need financial help with your diabetic cat's needs in the future, you can try applying for assistance here: Diabetic Cats in Need

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw your update on Herbert's GoFundMe page. I'm so glad all went well for him! LTS3 is correct about brushing his teeth. It's really the only thing that will help. I've been brushing my cats' teeth since they were tiny kittens and it's amazing how good they are about it. They certainly don't like it but they do allow it. For optimum results it needs to be done daily.

Yay for Herbert and his clean teeth!