Diabetic Ketoacidosis And Hypokalemia

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyones cat had this before? My 1.5 year old has been through the ringer of health scares. He has ITP since 3 months old and on prednisolone since he got diagnosed with ITP and I took him off this week when he got diagnosed with ketoacidosis. he is on atopica to control his ITP and it works great and we were slowly lowering his prednisolone but not soon enough I guess. He had BG readings of over 300 a month ago and went through fits of not eating. The vet was just anxious to get him off pred asap before he gets diabetes but I guess he already got it. Hes at the vet with a 1000ml iv bag full of b complex, fluids and potassium along with 2 potassium pills a day. Once his potassium is up then they can try to figure out his BG and insulin if needed.

The good thing is I work at that clinic. They close around 5 every day and closed on sundays but I came in last night to hang out with him and checked his BG and it got down to 240! He visibly looks better (he got there yesterday around noon) he has about 40 hrs left on his IV bag. Still isnt eating on his own but force fed. I just have never experienced diabetes and have no idea what to expect. He usually has a good appetite when hes feeling okay. Hes such a small little guy about 7lbs full grown. I'm going to see him in a couple hours and again tonight when I work but man I'm a wreck wondering if he will make it. I'd assume since he is improving little by little that he will be okay... he can actually hold his head up no . He stopped eating Wednesday so he hasnt eaten on his own in a while :(

His potassium has been border line low for a few months I guess the tech is the one who looked back at his labs (he gets one every 3 weeks to monitor his ITP) and she noticed a trend of it being low end of normal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not but you may want to post on the FelineDiabetes.com board for advice from more experienced diabetic cat owners.

Pred can cause diabetic-like symptoms in some cats. In some cats, it can cause temporary diabetes which may mean a short course of insulin and diet. I've never herd of DKA occurring with pred use but that's not to say it can't happen, especially to a cat with other health issues.