Diabetic Cat

monicamoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi- My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes. Vet told me to replace the Lantus every 3 weeks. I'm to give my cat 1.6 ml units 2 x day. At that rate I'd only be using 1/3rd of the vial at best. At $120 a pop, this seems crazy. Does this medication come in smaller vials? Monica

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Monicamoore!
I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances.

I can't help with your specific question, but I can tell you there's a site called YourDiabeticCat.com that may help with this and other questions you run into while caring for your kitty.

And there are many folks here on TCS who have diabetic cats; I'm sure someone will come along soon who may have an answer for you about the meds.

Many thoughts and well-wishes!

AC

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a diabetic cat a few years back...and his insulin was cheap..the thing that did cost alot was the test strips...but this is the site that I got the best info and it saved my cats life...my vet had my cat on so much meds it was killing him...

http://felinediabetes.com

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been reading message boards of vets and a couple have stated that the diabetic cats in their clinics are all into remission. They accomplished this by getting them to feed an all-canned diet and two other things so cannot remember. If I remember, I'll log on tonight and see if I can find that thread. There are no studies substantiated their.claims but 200% remission in two clinics doing the same thing may be somethng to look into. The wet food was a high protein, low carb food. I think when a cat is first diagnosed with diabetes, it's hard to find the right dosage of insulin IMPE. Diabetes in cats is more complicated than in humans because they feel it worse if that makes sense. It usually takes some glucose curves (when they get their glucose checked every 2 hours within a 12 or. 24 hour period to see how your cat's glucose levels rise and fall. I'm sorry your cat was diagnosed but hopefully you can find a cheaper price. I'm wondering if you got a script and got it at a human pharmacy...would it be somewhat cheaper?

jbsmomto1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not sure whether this is against the rules or not BUT I use insulin and often have leftovers of humalog and lantus, kept in the fridge it lasts until the expiry date, out of the fridge its only good for 28 days. I keep mine in the fridge. I was giving my leftovers to the rescue I foster for but I can send you some of the leftovers if you like......the only issue is, I don't know where you live but I am in Canada and I'm not sure if I can even ship it to the states....don't wanna be busted for drugs ....

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

I have been reading message boards of vets and a couple have stated that the diabetic cats in their clinics are all into remission. They accomplished this by getting them to feed an all-canned diet and two other things so cannot remember. If I remember, I'll log on tonight and see if I can find that thread. There are no studies substantiated their.claims but 200% remission in two clinics doing the same thing may be somethng to look into. The wet food was a high protein, low carb food. I think when a cat is first diagnosed with diabetes, it's hard to find the right dosage of insulin IMPE. Diabetes in cats is more complicated than in humans because they feel it worse if that makes sense. It usually takes some glucose curves (when they get their glucose checked every 2 hours within a 12 or. 24 hour period to see how your cat's glucose levels rise and fall. I'm sorry your cat was diagnosed but hopefully you can find a cheaper price. I'm wondering if you got a script and got it at a human pharmacy...would it be somewhat cheaper?
Catinfo.org, written and maintained by Dr. Pierson, talks about this very same thing on her Feline Diabetes page. There's also a contact link on that page if you would like to ask her for a phone consultation.

<<<Hugs>>>

AC