Diabetic Cat Issue

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I hope everyone is well. I have a 13 year old cat who was diagnosed with diabetes back in June. I have made the switch to nearly all wet food (he still gets 1/4 cup of a mixture of Acana and Glycobase). I give him 2 units of insulin twice a day. He went back to the vet a month after his diagnosis and we had cut his sugar levels about in half, so we know we are on the right track. Now my question.

The shots were going well, considering I had never done them before. I would alternate locations behind each shoulder, one side in the morning, the other side at night. Every once in awhile I would get a slight reaction to the injection, but nothing major.

Now, all of a sudden, it seems the shots are causing him pain, or at the very least discomfort. I tried going a little higher on the shoulders, and it still seemed to hurt him. Even the scruff of his neck, which I know is not ideal, caused a minor reaction. He didn't jump down, or move away in pain, but he would definitely meow and turn towards me, or pull away from me, at the moment of injection. Things he hasn't done for the first three months.

I don't think it's a buildup of scar tissue, as I have been religious about alternating injection locations. Has anyone ever had this occur? Where all of a sudden the shots seems to be causing discomfort?

I use a 29mm 1/2" syringe, which hasn't changed since day one. I had a few 1/4" 31mm syringes from the vet, so I tried one of those, and still got the same reaction from him.

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you make a comparison between us when we do a shot in the same place for a long time the skin will become more vulnerable , so maybe it can be a skin reaction ti every shot you make . Another possibility could be the stress . You can try and make him feel confortable when he do the shots .
wehave some stress issue with Mia when we put her treatment - she stay still and barely breath untill we finish.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is getting used to you giving him the injections and is telling you he doesn't like them. I have seen it many times that a cat is docile when new treatments are started, mainly because they are somewhat still unsure of what is going on. Now that he knows what is coming, he is protesting. The novelty has worn off! It doesn't hurt so much, but it still stings just a little, and that is enough. Don't slowly push the needle in, make sure it is a quick forward jab, I have had many human patients tell me that is MUCH better. The needle size is correct, 29 guage 1/2 inch. He will get used to the injections in time, but I would say you have a few more months coming before he does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't slowly push the needle in, make sure it is a quick forward jab, I have had many human patients tell me that is MUCH better. The needle size is correct, 29 guage 1/2 inch. He will get used to the injections in time, but I would say you have a few more months coming before he does.
This is wonderful advice. Because I 100% know I have been more tentative when giving his injections now that I know I am going to get a reaction from him. I will definitely try to go a little quicker when giving the injection.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I know is I wince every time I see a nurse on TV just slowly push the needle in, owww! Quick forward jab!
Oh, you might give a treat when you are done too, maybe something not high in carbs like deli sliced turkey, or something for diabetic cats, then the cat would look forward to it!