DGL licorice for stomach ulcers

onyxinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone given DGL licorice to their cat and if so, dosing??? Has it been helpful for results you were looking for? I can only find the chewable tablets at my local health store and was thinking maybe a 1/4 of a chewable tablet would be a good start? Not finding a ton of info on it online though and of course my vet knows nothing about licorice....surprise! : (

Thanks!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you google you can find the capsules.  My Dr carried the capsules but we moved away (40 minutes) from him so now I get the chewables for myself. 

This is about plain licorice root not the DGL stuff which is what you want for the ulcer.

http://www.vetguru.com/2011/10/16/the-healing-power-of-licorice/

Administering Licorice Root to pets (Dosing):

Dried herb:  ( most often Capsules or powdered on food)  Approx. 100mg per lb body weight once or twice daily orally( depending on severity of medical condition). Dose can be divided into smaller quantities and administered multiple times during the day

Found 1/4 capsule of 300mg twice a day for cats. 

In my book "Homeopathic Care for Cats & Dogs" by Don Hamilton DVM it says to give 1 chewable per 50#

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

onyxinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!  I remember talking to you the other day about this!  lol

I still was having a hard time finding dosing information online....which is strange because usually i'm awesome at googling and my family is amazed at how fast i can find things!  lol

Anyway, I was posting a special thread specifically in case anyone had experience with it.  Thanks for chiming in. : )

I was thinking about giving her 1/4 tablet so the 1 tablet per 50# is roughly the right dosage.