Dgl (deglycyrrhizinated Licorice) - Safe For Cats?

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

So my cat has IBD, which means when one end is "okay" the other end typically is, well, not.

See, the pooper end is okay now, constipation is resolving. But that means digestive juices are back to a normal level, and the already vulnerable stomach lining (vulnerable to ulceration) becomes inflammed yet again. And then ulcers develop.

So if I use an antacid to prevent pukes from irritation in the gut/stomach by stomach acid....then nutrient absorption decreases.

I'd much rather heal the lining of the gut itself.

Enter: DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice).

It has the ability to heal the mucous layer -- to help the lining of the stomach and gastrointestinal tract secrete more mucous, covering already ulcerated areas, allowing the lining a way to heal itself without being constantly irritated.

So my question to you: is it safe in felines? I've googled "feline safety" and "safe in cats" and "cat stomach ulcer"....and on and on. I see little information on proper dose...as well as long-term dose. I searched here too for information on it and found a few threads....but I'd like more conclusive information. Ideally: would love to hear from someone who has used DGL with success to heal their kitty. :)

Anyone here happen to use DGL to heal cat ulcer/IBD in cats? Any personal experience??

Thanks in advance......

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thorne Research Gastriplex Dog & Cat Supplement

https://boulderholisticvet.com/shop/dogs/nutrigest-powder-for-dogs-and-cats/

Veterinary Institute of Integrative Medicine

Hi! Although I do not have first hand experience with what you are asking, a quick search popped up these links.
The first two are gastric products formulated for cats, both of which contain DGL among other healing supplements. The third gives quite a bit of information on digestive issues, but if you scroll down it does indicate that DGL is safe for cats, although I'm not sure of the dosage.
I'm intrigued with this myself, as I have a kitty who has undergone significant treatment with antibiotics and has very soft poop, and also a weakened immune system, so I will continue to research and keep you updated if I come across anything else.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found another cat/pet safe product, it's call NutriGest for pets, by RX Vitamins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies....for some godawful reason, I never realized there were replies to this!

Then, upon searching the 'net tonight, and punching in keywords, I came across this post in search results. I saw what was typed out when I originally posted this-- but didn't realize it was my post. As I was reading it I thought, "wow, what a great post!".....and then I realized, lol, that I had started it, hahaha....

I'll start using it and come back later and post the results. :D

And if either of you have used DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) for their own furbaby...or if anyone else reading this thread has, then please -- please do let us know how it's gone for you. Would be strongly interested in hearing how it worked out for your furbaby. :D

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem