Deworming Pill For Kitten

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

According to my vet's report, my 11 week old kitten has tapeworms. This morning, they gave me two halves (I asked for an additional half in case of an epic fail to get her to consume it).

I've broken the pill up into smaller pieces and mixed it in with wet food. Of course, kitty hasn't consumed that portion of the food yet. I'm guessing she can tell. If she doesn't consume it by tonight, and I have to work with the second half-pill, what methods would you suggest?

The vet tech today suggested I serve some of the wet food (with the pill mixed in) with a spoon - did that, and kitten didn't buy it. Later, I mixed it in with some wet food - now I'm just waiting for her to eat more.

This kitty hasn't taken to treats yet, so I don't really think pill pockets like "greenies" will work. Anyone had success with a picky kitty like mine and pills?

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I had to give my two kittens a pill the other day and wondered about how to get them to take it. Luckily they ate it once it’d been covered in wet food, but the vet told me if that didn’t work I could try to give it to them using a pill gun.
Here’s a video explaining how to use one. You can probably find one at your local pet store or online.
Hope this helps!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try crushing the pill and mixing in soft butter. My cats love butter. If I put down a plate that had buttered toast on it, they are on it in a New York minute, licking the plate clean. Even if it shows no grease. Just in case, don't ya' know.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even if you don't have a pill gun, you can pill them with just your fingers. 11-week-old kittens shouldn't be able to bite down enough to cause issues. You scruff them with one hand, and use the thumb and middle finger of that hand to put a little pressure on the sides of the jaws. This will make her open her mouth. If you don't have the exact spots right, you can use your other hand to pull down on the chin. Then, just pop the pill as far back as you can. She may gag a little, but hopefully she swallows it. You may have to try a few times if she spits it back up. Then, when she's finally swallowed it, have a tasty treat to chase it down. Tuna water, butter, meat-only baby food, etc. all work.

Funnily enough, I've only ever had to use this method on a friend's cat. Saipha has pica, so I just put the pill on the floor, and she ate it.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different.

Duchess eats most of her meds by herself. All i need to do is put the pill somewhere and she’ll eat it. Whatever she doesnt eat on her own, i put in a greenies pill pocket.

Cookie falls for pill pockets. But then... she eats almost anything.

Biscuit wont eat anything off my hand and he doesnt eat pill pockets. But he does eat whatever meds i put in his canned food as long as i cover it up really well. Sometimes if the caned food is too soft, i mix in some dry food. That way he cant tell the meds apart from the dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, everyone :)

She didn't finish her food by late evening, so I ended up scruffing her and massaging the pill down her throat (while also blowing air at her nose)? The pill didn't go all the way in at first, and I saw her struggling with it at the side of her mouth. But I grabbed it and popped it down, massaged her throat, blew air at her nose and saw her lick her lips a few times. Success :p