Deworming ferals and outdoor cats

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is about 10 ferals/outdoor cats here. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could deworm and possibly treat for fleas these cats? Most of them I can't get close to. Is there an option to the liquid dewormers? Thanks for any tips.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flea treatment I am not sure I am looking for an option on that myself. For me there are 8 strays here but only 4 stay around my home. The others only come long enough to eat then leave. Plus one that leaves I suspect belongs to someone as he has a flea collar on. But there are plenty of liquid dewormers out there. You can find them on Chewy, Petco, Petsmart and Amazon. The brand you choose is up to you on what you can afford. I do recommend to stay away from the Hartz brand. That brand is known to make animals sick or worse. I don’t know why it’s still on shelves. But any other brand should do

I can’t find the dewormer I just bought which worked for my 2 boys inside and I dewormed the 4 outside. But here is some good options from Amazon. Just make sure it says for cats too cause some are for both dogs & cats.

Liquid Dewormer for Cats

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First on the fleas, on cats that you can't touch, I use Lufenuron/Nitenpyram mixed in with wet food once a month...Lufenuron will break the flea cycle, can only be given once a month and Nitenpyram will kill fleas for 24hrs whenever they bite they drop off and can be given daily....proper dose is Lufe 205mg and 12mg on the Niten....
For many years I've gotten my Lufe 205mg./Niten 12mg. from a site called puppybutts.com, I buy a 2in1 capsule for $16 there's 12 in a bottle and they always ship fast...............
Second on the Deworm, on cats that you can't touch, I use Pyrantel, it's a liquid that you'll mix into wet THEN have to repeat in 2 weeks.....
Both have their issues when dealing with strays as far as "one dose, one cat" when that's out of your control most of the time.......
Take my stray colony of 16, the Lufe/Niten I use 3 plates each will have 4 or 5 single piles of treated wet food, once I put down 3 plates as fast as I can And they start to gobble away, as far as correct dose per cat, it's about out of your hands at that point......Always better than nothing....AND the smaller you colony, correct dosage is more easy to obtain......
On the Pyrantel, mixed with wet, The best you can do there AND colony size makes a difference here to a far as "one dose, one cat", Is to put what would be the correct dosage per plate for say 4 or 5 cats a plate, might be 4 or 5 teaspoons of Pyrantel in each bulk plate and just let them eat it as a bulk amount if you will, some will get a little extra and some will get less, IT's better than doing nothing against worms......................

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First on the fleas, on cats that you can't touch, I use Lufenuron/Nitenpyram mixed in with wet food once a month...Lufenuron will break the flea cycle, can only be given once a month and Nitenpyram will kill fleas for 24hrs whenever they bite they drop off and can be given daily....proper dose is Lufe 205mg and 12mg on the Niten....
For many years I've gotten my Lufe 205mg./Niten 12mg. from a site called puppybutts.com, I buy a 2in1 capsule for $16 there's 12 in a bottle and they always ship fast...............
Second on the Deworm, on cats that you can't touch, I use Pyrantel, it's a liquid that you'll mix into wet THEN have to repeat in 2 weeks.....
Both have their issues when dealing with strays as far as "one dose, one cat" when that's out of your control most of the time.......
Take my stray colony of 16, the Lufe/Niten I use 3 plates each will have 4 or 5 single piles of treated wet food, once I put down 3 plates as fast as I can And they start to gobble away, as far as correct dose per cat, it's about out of your hands at that point......Always better than nothing....AND the smaller you colony, correct dosage is more easy to obtain......
On the Pyrantel, mixed with wet, The best you can do there AND colony size makes a difference here to a far as "one dose, one cat", Is to put what would be the correct dosage per plate for say 4 or 5 cats a plate, might be 4 or 5 teaspoons of Pyrantel in each bulk plate and just let them eat it as a bulk amount if you will, some will get a little extra and some will get less, IT's better than doing nothing against worms......................
Thank you so much for the wealth of information. I'm going to look into this. Never thought about putting these "meds" in piles on a plate for several cats at a time. I think this will work.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where do you buy the Pyrantel?

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I did'nt get back sooner, the Pyrantel I'll just get off a seller on E-bay.....Don't know how many forms that comes in but I always get the liquid, vanilla flavor, I never needed to taste-mask, just mix in with wet food...........Wish I could tell you the brand name but I can't, just used all mine up a couple months ago on the colony.............

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I did'nt get back sooner, the Pyrantel I'll just get off a seller on E-bay.....Don't know how many forms that comes in but I always get the liquid, vanilla flavor, I never needed to taste-mask, just mix in with wet food...........Wish I could tell you the brand name but I can't, just used all mine up a couple months ago on the colony.............
Thank you for the info. I'll check it out.