Dewormer: Pumpkin Seeds

meemsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I stumbled upon this looking for something natural for my senior and extremely frail cat. Her frailty would be the reason I would prefer holistic to chemical. And she is Meyu, not Meem...my 15 yr old ginger. My rare girl..

downtoearthman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say ask a vet prior to trying this...

I have eaten raw pumpkin seeds ( very tastie) with disasterous results

1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.
That's baloney. I eat pumpkin seeds all the time for years. I also know people who have lots of cats and have worked as veterinaries and they give cats pumpkin seeds on many occasions and it cured the worms problem every time. So you can feel safe by giving the cat pumpkin seeds. Drugs are what's dangerous. People have been using natural remedies to cure disease for thousands of years. Drugs only change the nature of the disease. That's why when you hear a drug commercial they tell you the 16 side effects it has and often the side effect is death.

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, it is the zinc in the pumpkin seeds that gives them antiparasitic value. I've also read on multiple websites (which I understand doesn't always make things true), but the fact that they are roasted (if not over 20 min) does not deplete the value of zinc in the seeds. I in the arguing that the store bought salted and roasted seeds are not the best for cats, but just now reading that I can say I've always given my clowder the ground up seeds from the local grocery store and it has worked as it was supposed to. Can anyone tell me why it is not suggested to give them this this version of seed?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The members who participated in this thread have, for the most part, not been active recently.