Dewey The Library Cat

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have ever loved a cat more than words can say, you need to read "Dewey The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World. I received this book as a thank you for helping a lost cat find his home. Well, it's a truly wonderful book. 277 pages that just fly by. I am going into the last chapter now but am savoring every word. It's the true story written by the librarian who found him as a kitten in the book return slot on a sub zero am. It follows his life as the Spencer Iowa Public Library ambassador. He lived for 19 years and touched so many people. It is the New York Times #1 best seller. I've heard it referred to as the feline version of "Marley and Me." So, get the book, grab a glass of lemonade and head for a chair in the shade this summer. In these times of craziness and stress this book will re-affirm the goodness that we thought does not exist too much any more. Happy reading!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
many of us have read this book and posted about it here... my dad bought it for me for my birthday last fall, and i got it right after I got out of the hospital... it was a truly heartwarming story about Dewey... I'm surprised you haven't mentioned bawling your eyes out... I think everyone here, who's read it, at least tears up... I was bawling...

Amanda

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

many of us have read this book and posted about it here... my dad bought it for me for my birthday last fall, and i got it right after I got out of the hospital... it was a truly heartwarming story about Dewey... I'm surprised you haven't mentioned bawling your eyes out... I think everyone here, who's read it, at least tears up... I was bawling...

Amanda
My Goodness!
......so seems more deeply than I thought!...

I´ll try to get so seriously!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Amanda
That's exactly why I haven't started it yet
and I have 2 copies

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

That's exactly why I haven't started it yet
and I have 2 copies
I knew going in that it was about his life as a whole, I knew he wasn't alive anymore... his story made me laugh a lot... his antics in the library (climbing things he shouldn't have, his Dewey Carry) so I knew I'd tear up as we got closer... I'm an emotional sort, so I tears streaming down my cheeks. He was such a loved cat and a wonderful ambassador for the library itself (and for cats).

Just make sure you have a box of tissue nearby...

Amanda

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother gave me a copy last Christmas. I've read it twi8ce and teared up both times. Does anyone know anything about a movie being made out of the book starring Meryl Streep? No, not as Dewey, but I'm sure she can play him if she tries.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhh I saw this book at Borders!! I wanted to get it but I was up in Oregon and already bought 2 books
It looks like a cute story and I need to get it!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually got the book and read it while doing all of my flying early this summer, it was AMAZING!! I was even more supprised hear that libray in the town I now live in used to have a libray cat until the late 80s!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww.... I LOVED IT!!!! So well written.... I laughed and cried with that book... Highly recommend it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the last chapter until I am alone so I can cry without looking over my shoulder for grand kids! I don't know if I could take the movie though. I can't even read greating cards in the store without tearing up!!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I read it on my Christmas vacation and loved it, but I had to warn my husband I was reading it and have a box of tissue ready.

I alternated between laughing and crying while I was reading it. A great book, though, and one I really think any cat lover can relate to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it last evening. I was so hesitant to read that last chapter. Even though I sobbed, I would still read it again. It is a beautiful tribute. RIP sweet Dewey.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Funny I should see this--I was tidying up tonight, and found my copy buried under a pile of books from a long time ago, and have Dewey right by the pc! I love the cover--didn't he have the sweetest expression? He looks as if he's the smartest cat ever--so human--his eyes seem so intelligent. I kept the book, as I love the cover--does that make sense????

I cried, too. I can't bear to read the part when he was found in the bookdrop, all covered in dirt, and shivering.

I heard last year that they intend to start a movie based on the book this year. Also, I read that Vicki Myron has another cat, though I think I read that the library board won't let him/her stay at the library.

I work in a library, and Dewey was a hit there. I also work with "Dewey" every day--the Dewey Decimal System! (I'm a CATaloger!) I loved it when I logged into OCLC (the cataloging database we use), and I used to be greeted as, "HELLO, CAT!" (they've since changed the "cat" to our first name--I liked "cat" better. I used to be "Cat 2".)